water mixing with oil

Discussion about the Hemi in general.

Moderator: scottm

prostreethotrods

water mixing with oil

Post by prostreethotrods »

i have a 354 that is leaking from somewhere, i can't find it, water leaking into my oil, where are the typical places to look,water pump-timing cover-intake manifold-valve cover bolts...at one point i could here the water trickling in from the timing cover ,fixed that, now i can't here anything but still getting water into the system..seems to only drain into the pan when pressurized, any ideas ???? 8)
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

Head gaskets, cracked head, cracked cylinder wall, cracked block, same as everything said to you on the other web site.
desotoman

Post by desotoman »

I just had a leak in a motor and had a hard time finding out the Location. It turns out my block had core shift, and even though it had only been overbored .030 from standard, it developed a micro leak 2.75" down a cylinder and not on the thrust side.

I had visually checked the block and could see no signs of where the water was coming from. I had the heads pressure checked and they were Ok. I made sure the head gaskets went on perfect. etc etc.

When I stated the car the motor sounded great. Next morning I see a couple of drops of water under my pan. I pull the plug and water comes out. Now I am more than determined to find the leak. I pull the motor out of the car and put it on an engine stand. I do a leak down and the worst cyl. is 3%. I pull the pan and fill the motor up with water on the stand and low and behold there is a drop of water coming down number 3 cyl. every 90 seconds or so. So now I know my leak is in number 3. Next I take my leak down meter and hook it back up to number 3 put the piston at the bottom and rotate the motor untill the valves close and presurize the cyl. and I can hear the water in the block girgle. I pull the pistons out and I still cannot visually see the crack. So I fill the block up with water again and sure enough on the number 3 cyl. a droplet forms and runs down. So I take a piece of welding rod I have ground to a point and start pushing in the area of the droplet and low and behold I push completely through the cyl. wall with the point. Now I have a small stream coming out of the block. Believe it or not I was very happy. Threw that block away and started with a good one.

I had bought that motor the way it was, in running condition and it served me well for 3 years. Now I am going to buy a sonic checker to make sure it does not happen to me again.
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

desotoman wrote:I just had a leak in a motor and had a hard time finding out the Location. It turns out my block had core shift, and even though it had only been overbored .030 from standard, it developed a micro leak 2.75" down a cylinder and not on the thrust side.

I had visually checked the block and could see no signs of where the water was coming from. I had the heads pressure checked and they were Ok. I made sure the head gaskets went on perfect. etc etc.

When I stated the car the motor sounded great. Next morning I see a couple of drops of water under my pan. I pull the plug and water comes out. Now I am more than determined to find the leak. I pull the motor out of the car and put it on an engine stand. I do a leak down and the worst cyl. is 3%. I pull the pan and fill the motor up with water on the stand and low and behold there is a drop of water coming down number 3 cyl. every 90 seconds or so. So now I know my leak is in number 3. Next I take my leak down meter and hook it back up to number 3 put the piston at the bottom and rotate the motor untill the valves close and presurize the cyl. and I can hear the water in the block girgle. I pull the pistons out and I still cannot visually see the crack. So I fill the block up with water again and sure enough on the number 3 cyl. a droplet forms and runs down. So I take a piece of welding rod I have ground to a point and start pushing in the area of the droplet and low and behold I push completely through the cyl. wall with the point. Now I have a small stream coming out of the block. Believe it or not I was very happy. Threw that block away and started with a good one.

I had bought that motor the way it was, in running condition and it served me well for 3 years. Now I am going to buy a sonic checker to make sure it does not happen to me again.
I have seen many many blocks, like you describe above, repaired with the proper diameter and length sleeve. A skilled, well informed, and well trained machinest can be a lifesaver and a real good source for information.