hemi boat

Discussion about the Hemi in general.

Moderator: scottm

insanewayne

hemi boat

Post by insanewayne »

I found a boat that has two 426 hemi motors. I need to know if these motors will work on the street or are they just for boats.One rotates backwards but I should be able to change cams and turn the pistons around to make it work. just wondering about other differences like water jackets and passages.
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

You might want to check closely, they are most likely 331-354 engines. Very difficult to "convert" to auto use.
insanewayne

hemi boat

Post by insanewayne »

Since reading the info on this site I realize the 426 was not installed in boats as a factory option . so much for taking someone elses word. I have not seen the motors personally ,but I will go look at them anyway. after checking the numbers and actually seeing the motors close up I can tell the year of the engines. Still if the price is right I might get them to put into another boat. are any of the parts other than the valve covers useful for street use , Heads,two four intakes,pistons, rods ,etc. thanks for the comeback ,wayne
Schurkey

Post by Schurkey »

Saltwater cooling? Engines are mostly scrap.

Freshwater cooling? Engines "could" be fine. Will need to knock out some core plugs and look at the water jackets.

Closed cooling system using anti-freeze? May not be any worse than an automotive engine in terms of corrosion--but they'll still have been run hard. Boat engines take a pounding rare in automotive use.
OldMoparGuy

Re: hemi boat

Post by OldMoparGuy »

It's easy enough to tell if they are early hemis or the later 426.
Early Hemis had the distributer at the back of the motor,the 426 has it on the front.
mart

Post by mart »

Yeah, but don't forget when you're looking at a hemi in a boat - that most of them where installed sort of bass-akwards - with the marine gearbox and prop drive off of what would normally be the front of an automotive engine. Be sure you know which end is actually the "front". I once spent a lot of time chasing down a supposed 426 Hemi. When I located the guy, he assured me on the phone that it was - quote - "definitely a 426 Hemi" because "it had 2 carbs on it and the distributor was at the "front". After driving for 4 hours to go and see it, guess what it turned out to be? A 331 marine engine with 2-1 bbl carbs and front mounted mounted'
distributor off of the marine drive, with a tach drive in the normal distributor hole at the back of the block!!!
mart