A NEW S/S Hemi?

Discussion about the Hemi in general.

Moderator: scottm

john

A NEW S/S Hemi?

Post by john »

I just heard Chrysler displayed a "S/S?" Challenger at the SEMA show. It apparently has a crate 392 Hemi (an upcoming engine) putting out 540hp. The picture made the car look pretty spartan (typical for Mopar) so I was wondering if it was a possibility. I know liability issues will crop up, but I was wondering if there's any insiders reading this forum that could shed some light on it.
scottm

Post by scottm »

For those wanting to see pictures...

Mopar's Relaunch of the Legendary 392 HEMI
http://www.thehemi.com/news.php?id=20061102-1

I'm pretty sure it's just a fancy way to show off the new 392.
But if there's anyone that can tell me different, let's hear it. :)
john

Post by john »

Given a new S/S is only a rumor & except for the 392 mentioned in the newsclips, how would YOU build a factory S/S car. Remember this is 2007, it has to use production pieces & be generally availible to the public & easy for the factory to build. Me? I'm thinking the 6.1, 6-spd, 4.10 gears (it IS production, you know) rubber flooring (from the copcar Charger), seats from a PT cruiser or copcar, trunk mounted battery,& the usual equipment deletes. Price? 40-50k with any luck. Comments?
HemiAl

A new generation 426 Hemi exists

Post by HemiAl »

Just took delivery of a 2006 SRT8 Charger with a Supercharged (new generation) 426 Hemi.

It was done by GS Motorsports... they took the stock 6.1 engine and re-sleeved and stroked it to 426 cid, then installed one of their Novi 1500 Superchargers... it is by far the most impressive street legal cars that I have ever driven... 740hp (665hp to the wheels).

I'll get some pics on the next posting...

Hemi Al
hemidup

Post by hemidup »

HemiAl, First and foremost, welcome to the site. Did GSM run your motor on an engine dyno? The GSM kit that I had, was good to about 395rwhp on a chassie dyno, before I had fuel issues from my stock 5.7 with 8lbs of boost and the Novi 1200. The right bank of my engine was running really lean due to the restrictive crossover tube. Their auxillary injector system is far from being perfect using a dry intake.
392 Blown Hemi
HemiAl

Post by HemiAl »

GSM did run it on their dyno (740hp... 665rwhp)
The stock 6.1 was reworked to a 7 litre displacement (new sleeves were required), also equipped with the NOVI 1500 kit (with the big boost) that they make for the 6.1, port and polished heads, kooks headers and 2-1/2" exhaust with no cats or crossovers. They did all the work on this particular project at their place. I've yet to get it on the open highway for tests (RI is so small that I'd be in Massachusetts by the time it hit 4th gear)

I installed the same 1500 kit on my Daytona r/t with a 5.7, with ported and polished heads and their 2-1/2" stainless exhaust, minus cats & crossover (I don't have dyno #s on it but it goes pretty good). I don't seem to have any issues with the fuel, though I will pay closer attention.

HemiAl
hemidup

Post by hemidup »

HemiAl, With your 4100lb car and 665rwhp, you should expect to see a mid high 10@120 plus mph. That car must rock! Just watch your a/f numbers at WOT. Monitor egt's from your #1 and #2 cylinders. If you have any questions about tuning, give me a shout.
392 Blown Hemi