1956 dodge truck. What engine?

Discussion about the Hemi in general.

Moderator: scottm

F1383Bee

1956 dodge truck. What engine?

Post by F1383Bee »

I just bought a 1956 c3 b8 116 dodge truck. It has the original V8
engine, and because of it's location, I can't get the bellhousing numbers.
What engine did these come with? The internet tells me anything
from a red ram to a 318 poly. I think it may be a 270 poly, but it's a guess. I can post pictures if you gurus need.
Last edited by F1383Bee on Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TrWaters

Post by TrWaters »

Look for a stamped number located on the block in front of the valley cover.
Early hemi to late sb Mopar trans adapters. Precision billet parts for early hemis.
F1383Bee

Post by F1383Bee »

I don't have access to it, as it is at a coworker's house. I am reading that it's anything from a 259, to a 270, to a 318 poly. It has the original engine.
The owner says it's a 318, but I don't know if they came in those trucks.
George

Post by George »

Not knowing how big a truck that is....it could be a 270 low deck Hemi or Poly, a 315 high deck Hemi or Poly, or even a Chr Hemi/Poly. Do you know if it's a Hemi or Poly? As was said it should have a code on a flat in front of the valley pan, or casting # on block between the head & valley cover pass. side rear. Usually can't see if intake is in place.If you own it, why don't you have access?
David Bemis

'56 Truck Engine

Post by David Bemis »

Hi,
The valve covers will tell you if it is a Hemi or not. The spark plugs are right down the middle of the valve cover, often with a separate cover. Polys have pronounced "scallops" to the lower edge of the valve cover. The 318 polys that I have seen have scallops that are a bit more saw tooth shaped.
In '56 I think it would have been a 259 if it was a poly. For a hemi it could be a 259, 270, or a 331 (which is a Chrysler Hemi, but Dodge used some Chrysler Hemis in some of its trucks.) I could be wrong and am open to correction but this may help you. Obviously, getting the numbers off the engine is the sure fire way to go. At any rate, all of these engines are great engines.
David
David G. Bemis - '42 Carryall w/'55 Super Red Ram 270
George

Post by George »

The 259 Poly was a Plymouth only engine, no Hemi version.
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

1) Get your truck
2) open the hood
3) locate the spark plugs in relation to the valve covers

If the valve covers have the spark plugs outside the covers you have a non hemi engine, if the spark plugs are in the middle of the valve covers you have a hemi of some kind.

Scrape the front of the engine and get the numbers then check using those numbers.

There are several posts on resources for checking those numbers in this section.
David Bemis

259 Poly

Post by David Bemis »

George,
My knowledge of these things is definitely limited. I have never even seen a 259. I included it as a possible '56 truck engine (hemi version) because on page 192 of Tex Smith's "The Complete Chrysler Hemi Engine Manual" under "Truck Listings" - "Hemi Heads" it is given as one of three possible engines for 1955/6. Since I do know that some Chrysler Hemis were put into trucks it seemed reasonable that there might have been some other cross brand mixing. ('57 DeSoto Firesweeps had Dodge engine/drivetrains in them for example.)
David
David G. Bemis - '42 Carryall w/'55 Super Red Ram 270
George

Re: 259 Poly

Post by George »

David Bemis wrote:George,
My knowledge of these things is definitely limited. I have never even seen a 259. I included it as a possible '56 truck engine (hemi version) because on page 192 of Tex Smith's "The Complete Chrysler Hemi Engine Manual" under "Truck Listings" - "Hemi Heads" it is given as one of three possible engines for 1955/6. Since I do know that some Chrysler Hemis were put into trucks it seemed reasonable that there might have been some other cross brand mixing. ('57 DeSoto Firesweeps had Dodge engine/drivetrains in them for example.)
David
Hmmm, Lundquests book confirms use of 259 Poly in Dodge trucks. I see the 259 Hemi listing in Tex's book,Have never seen anything listing it as anything but a Poly anywhere else, so I'm thinking typo on that.
mart

Re: 1956 dodge truck. What engine?

Post by mart »

Re: 1956 dodge truck. What engine?

If it's the original engine in the truck, it won't
be a 318. The "A block" 318 was originaly a
Plymouth engine, based on a bored out
Canadian-built 313 block. It was first used in
1957 with a hot cam and dual-4bbls, in the top
of the line Plymouth Fury only. Dodge cars
and trucks and lesser Plymouths did eventually
get the 318 too, but not until at least year or