Does anyone have Aluminum Heads from Hot Heads?

Discussion about the Hemi in general.

Moderator: scottm

RED_RAM_1934

Post by RED_RAM_1934 »

I'm debating on aluminum or rebuilt stock heads right now. I want a pro street engine but I want it to be drivable. If anyone has any experience with Aluminum heads from Hot Heads, and can tell me how they like them, how they perform, if you can feel a real difference in power, ect. please let me know. Thanks
budmspeeco

Post by budmspeeco »

You can get an idea from the Hot Rod article about the 392 in the '57 Chevy. The guy sounded happy with them. Maybe there is a way to get in touch with him for some input. Car guys are always willing to help other car guys, especially in dispensing free advice, like now. LOL
'48 anglia
budmspeeco

Post by budmspeeco »

I forgot to add that I bought a set of really really really wrecked Donovan heads on eBay in February of this year, item # 170076492106 if you want to see them. They will need extensive welding to fix . A local friend does welding on aluminum blocks so I am going to recruit him to weld them & I am going to do the repair. Hope they will work on the 392 I have been collecting parts for about 6 years now. Will take photos of the progress.
'48 anglia
Paul

Post by Paul »

I've talked to Bob Walker about them. He uses his on the street. (On a 354)
They are modeled after the "55" 331 heads. I've had good luck on all the aluminum heads that I've run on the street. The exception has been intake runner designs leading to manifold mismatches or plug angles. The Hot heads are just like bolting on a set of 555's. You wont have any strange configurations. You will shave over 50lbs off the weight. Their products are well machined however, a bit pricey. The aluminum is a high quality streetable material. One of these days I might get a set. Garlits did for a street rod.
Moparlee

Post by Moparlee »

I want a set so bad! I wonder how they would flow after being fully CNC ported. I wonder if you could get more than 400 CFM out of them.

Lee
392 Hemi
354 cracked and needs a sleeve
241 or 270 the only running one I have
340/E-brock heads/six-pack/4-speed/mini tubed/spool-64 Valiant
Powerflite

Post by Powerflite »

I purchased a set a few years ago to put on a street-driven 392 hemi, but unfortunately, I am just now getting the thing together to swap with the 331 hemi in my 56 Plymouth. I will let you know how it goes in a couple of months after I finish all the honey-dos. One good thing is that it has dramatically redesigned exhaust ports that are actually smaller! I asked him about this and he told me that the redesign flows much better than the older ones. It also uses the smaller 100cc combustion chamber of the 331 so that your compression increases almost a full point on a 392. I am told that the aluminum is more forgiving to higher compression as well. My only worries with them are corrosion at the iron/aluminum interfaces and stripping spark plug and exhaust threads over the course of time. The reason I bought them is because I drove around a 68 Barracuda with a 392 for many years and the extra weight up high in your car gets tiresome in a street driven car. This way, your weight is actually less than many other big block motors. You can see a picture of my motor at:
http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/photo ... otoid=2963