First time posting. Need much help PLEASE.

Discussion about the Hemi in general.

Moderator: scottm

Kouros

First time posting. Need much help PLEASE.

Post by Kouros »

I'm new here as well as to 'Cudas and Hemis and need some help pls.

A friend was not able to finish a restoration project and picked it up.
But now I need to sell too due to lack of space and funds to work on it. But I have some key questions as I really don't know much about HEMIs.

INFO
A HEMI crate engine with no receipts (lost). The blue crate basket has been marked with a marker (hand written) as a Special 472 CID/525HP. However there are 2 stickers on the basket. One reads 426 CID FE with P5249667 part number on it as well as mentioning that it was made in Canada in 9/30/2003. is this a 426 or 472?

The heads have P4532787 stamped on it

The front of the intake valley has 426 X899 stamped on it (hard to read).

Included is also a 1971 Barracuda chassis with many parts. The original VIN stamped on top of the driver's side dash is missing but there is fresh VIN stamp at the door jamb which matches the VIN on the title. Upon searching I found out that the car was originally a premium packaged car, but run of the mill with with a 318 CID engine, four speed.

The chassis was under going a complete restoration but it got stopped just after it was media blasted and before primer application. There is light surface rust that sands out easily. All the sheet metal was straightened and prepped (except one rear fender). Also, the chassis/frame was strengthen by welding "sub-frame connectors. The front driver's side fender, all upholstery, front grill with head lights, tail lights and the original hood are all missing. Other than that I have:

All the sheet metal
All the glass in great shape
4 speed tranny
rearend/axle
some suspension parts
most of the trip and weather striping
original pistol grip shifter
important nuts and bolts (all ziplocked and labeled)
power steering
plus many other small parts

The nice thing about the chassis/frame is that it is on a rotisserie and can be turned with one man in any position. It also rolls on wheels.

QUESTIONS
A- What exact crate engine do I have?
B- How much horse power?
C- Is this (2003 production) one of the engines that I read people have trouble with?
D- Which other cars can this engine be dropped in?
E- How much this whole package (Chassis, parts and engine) is worth realistically?
F- Any other info is appreciated too.

Many thanks in advance.
ics
Kouros

Post by Kouros »

A 100 views on this post and not one single reply. I guess no one visits this forum. Sad.

-K
ics
desotoman

Post by desotoman »

I wish I could help you but I don't have any answers to your questions.
I like the early hemi stuff and don't know anything about cuda's etc.
At least I gave you a reply. LOL. Good luck with your search.
R/T Jack

Post by R/T Jack »

Kouros, this board is not very active. The reason you haven't received many replies is probably because no one has the answer to your questions. Does the crate motor have a sticker on the lower portion of the block with a part number?
hobbeekid

Post by hobbeekid »

First thing I'd do is pull the pan off to see what crank is in it. when in doubt
take it apart, measure all the dimensions. Especially the stroke or get a part # off the crank. if it's a crate engine ,it probably needs to come apart anyway to make sure it was put together right and torqued to spec in the first place .The 472's are rated at 525 hp, but I wouldn't know that for sure.I've been slowly piecing together a 472 for the past 12 yrs and I'm still not finished.heck I don't even have a car to put it into. your engine should readily drop into any a,b,e, body with the correct hemi k frame or the variety of special motormounts that are available aftermarket.What's it worth?check ebay for a start that's a good market indicator.hope this helps...... :wink:
john

Post by john »

If I were a potential buyer, I 'd offer somewhere in the area of 20-30k for the whole thing, depending on what you have for the car. Yes, I realize it's an e-body & anyone that breathes cars seems to want one, but as of this moment ALL I know is that it's an E-body-----period. The engine itself is probably worth around 15k & I don't believe it was one of the "problem children". Sorry, if I seem skeptical, or at the very least cheap, but it sounds like you have too much good stuff to just discard.