408 vs. 392 Hemi

Discussion about the Hemi in general.

Moderator: scottm

Jasonb61

408 vs. 392 Hemi

Post by Jasonb61 »

Hey everyone! I was recently working on a 408 project for my old 92 Dakota but things came up and I had to scrap the project. Now I am in the market for a new Dakota and I'd like to do something a little different. I was wondering how a 408 stroker would compare to a 392 Hemi Stroker if both were built the max? I've always went by the saying "there is no replacement for displacement"... I've also been told the New hemi is not a "True" Hemi so would I really be losing potential power with going with a slighly smaller engine? It's only 10ci but it's still a loss. How do the two engines compare in weight?

Thank you,
-Jason
john

Post by john »

While the 392 isn't a "true" Hemi, it's closer than what you've got. Besides with aluminum heads, 2 plugs per cylinder and the option of FI or carburated from the factory I think the 392 would be a better choice. Hell, I'm trying to sell my Hemi Dart just to afford the S/S Challenger when it comes out! Anyway, if it were me I'd opt for the 392 HOWEVER they ain't cheap. I just saw Mancini Racing is selling 'em for something like 16k :o , so once again it's "Speed costs money--how fast do you want to go?"
Jasonb61

Post by Jasonb61 »

Hmm, I was talking about the New 5.7 Hemi's stroked to a 392 vs. a 5.9 stroked to a 408... I see the 5.7's going for fairly cheap and I believe I could build it for under 16k :lol:
john

Post by john »

IMO, the 5.7 would still be a better deal. Although hotrodders still need to catch-up & learn the 5.7 quirks, Hot Rod Magazine did a real good article some months back highlighting the Hemis shortcomings. Based on that article if it were me, I'd find a good racing quality rotating assembly or piece one together, get with a good head porter & have at it. You'd have to do that for the 408 anyway and you'd still be stuck with wedge heads and an old design. How would I build it? Crower crank & rods, Mahle pistons, Milodon oil pan, a cam based on a successful, similiar combo (that woud take some researching), MSD ignition, an 850 or 950HP carb, get the heads done by whomever Chrysler recommends and go have fun. Of course headers would probably have to be fabbed up so add another 1k or so for them.