Have a 1970 Challenger w/318 what engine should i but in?

Discussion about the Hemi in general.

Moderator: scottm

Mopar Mike

Have a 1970 Challenger w/318 what engine should i but in?

Post by Mopar Mike »

I need help in deciding what if anything to do with my Challenger. I have a #matching Challenger with a 318. I have been looking at Speedomotive among others to build a engine. What are the pro's and cons of a hemi over a big wedge? How much will the extra weight hurt handing etc?

Thanks,

Mike
scottm

Post by scottm »

I imagine you need to pick your poison: turns or straights! :wink:

My understanding on approx engine weights (give or take)...

273-340 ... 525-lb
413-440 ... 670-lb
426 HEMI ... 765-lb

Unfortunately I haven't driven ANY combination of the above,
so I can't really say how noticeable the difference is. Though
that's a pretty big weight spread, so I can only imagine you'll
see a different depending on which route you take.

Maybe you need to go with a new HEMI and get a motor in the
600-lb range but can still punch out over 400 reliable horses!
George

Post by George »

Or, where it's matching numbers....install a turned down 360 crank in the 318 for a stealth stroker.
john

Post by john »

Assuming this is a street car, as much as I love Hemis, I'm affraid I agree-- astroker smallblock will offer you power, balance, and parts availibility. If price isn't a real concern, why not go with a new 6.1 Hemi? Small motor, new technology,& a warranty.
Mopar Mike

Post by Mopar Mike »

Thanks to all,

Scott you had a good point about strights or turns, My last sports car was a Z06 Vette. I loved the power and the way it turned. If I had to pick, handling is more important to me than a stright line.

This will be a street car, I won't drive it every day but I want it built strong enough as if I would. Mopar Muscle has a small block competition going on noe. Some of the 408's are putting out over 600hp. Is this enough to keep up with the new Mustangs and Challenger coming out?

How much more will a hemi bring at resale value than a big or small block stroker? Any suggestion on who to turn to for a motor?

Mike
George

Post by George »

As far as resale is concerned, have you seen the prices that people are getting for 426 Hemi "Clones", or what ever you want to call a fake. Outragious money.
john

Post by john »

Okay, so you're looking at sale-abiliity too? In that case you'd have to go with a Hemi. There's nothing like them although realize your car is gong to be nose-heavy. At almost 800 pounds ( a little less with alum. heads) you just aren't going to balance the weight.
OldMoparGuy

Re: Have a 1970 Challenger w/318 what engine should i but in?

Post by OldMoparGuy »

I don't think a numbers matching 318 car is going to be worth much anytime soon...
If you want to go the easiest route,just drop a new small-block crate motor in it and go,over 400 horses if you choose,and absolutely no fiddling around! And they are not exspensive.
If you want a big block(I would!),I would go with a 383 or 440 wedge motor.You can go with a Hemi,the most impressive set-up of course,but it is a huge undertaking that some people don't realise,both in work and money!!
If it were my car I would go looking for a '69 to '70 Chrysler "donor" car.They all came with a 383 or 440 as standard equipment,if you look you can find one fairly cheap,and take the motor and tranny. I suggest the '68 to '70 because they had the best heads,steel crank,etc. Then all you need are the correct motor mounts,the correct torsion bars for the heavier motor,a bigger rad(which you might get to fit from the Chrysler)and a few other odds and ends. Rebuild the motor with a better cam,intake and carbs,headers,and you can make all the power you wish....Rebuild the tranny with H.D. parts,shift kit,deep pan cooler,etc. Don't be afraid of a 383,I've had lots,I love them,and because of the shorter stoke and rods,they can take a lot more revs than a 440.You can can put a brand new six-pack intake,complete with carbs,air cleaner,linkage,etc. too if you want.... :)
john

Post by john »

It's been awhile since I visited this thread & after reading the responses, I'll stick to my original opinion ---- a stroker smallblock (crate motor) will negate having to go for all the add-ons,would almost be a direct bolt-in, allow you to have a car that handles well in curves and won't break you. Hemis & bigblocks aren't cheap, aren't revving motors & in the case of a Hemi generally require more maintenence, something it sounds like you're not interested in.
biggymu

Post by biggymu »

Hi Mike, I did a swap about two years ago using a 472 duel quad John Aruzza motor into a 1970 Dart Swinger W/ 4 speed trans . The car was a rust free 6 banger . This whole monster package now resides completly (and stealthfully) under a 340 Swinger hood. This was a total labor of love and was an extreamly tight and difficult swap. The results are well worth it however. When ever I take it to any show a crowd hangs out in front of this car all day. John says the motor puts out about 700 horsepower and will easily smoke the 70 series rally rimmed tires at 60mph. I built it to drive to shows and such not really to race, although It has totally consumed a few mustangs. I doesn't handle at all. Forget parallel parking. This thing is a 12 mpg guided missle. All suspension, brakes,bushings and practically everything on the whole car has been replaced or rebuilt and beefed to take the torque. It took me about two years to complete and if the starter goes out on this car I will put it up for sale(Not really). Headers are about 8 hours a side to install. I love my hemi dart- it is my lifelong dream and I will probabily be buried in it when I die. I am on the other side of the " balanced" ride spectrum. If you want handeling buy a 'vette or a Porsche.A '70 Challenger even new in its day (I'm old enough to remember) wasn't as good a handler as a new Toyota Corolla. It was a big,expensive undertaking but with age and patience the building and problem solving of the installation was as much fun as driving it. And I have a car as unique as I am. This is only my opinion, live your dream and make it what you have always wanted- that's what its all about anyway. Best of luck in your endevor, Rick W.