1967 Hemi Engine

Discussion about the Hemi in general.

Moderator: scottm

allen

1967 Hemi Engine

Post by allen »

I have the opportunity to purchase a 1967 hemi engine. I am a pontiac guy so I do not know what to look for with these engines. The engine is presently in the shop being put together by a shop that does hemi engines. . This is what I know now about the build. It is an original 1968 426 hemi block. Original steel crank turned 10/10 and indexed. New black bimetal bearings 7/16 ARP rod bolts. New Mopar performance forged pistons, 4 left and 4 right pistons. New Mopar performance heads with stainless steel valve retainers and wide pad rocker arms. New Comp cam shaft, lifters pushrods, spring retaianers, timing chain and gears. Original chrome ultra light super stock valve covers. New Mopar performance aluminum intake manifold. Chrome valve cover and oil pan. Late model electronic distributor. Waterpump new. Manifold holds 1 four barrel carburator only. I thought the original hemi's had 2 four barrels on them? New oil pump. New gaskets and seals. This elderly gentleman has 2 hemi's. He use to race and is selling one of them. He is asking $ 10,000
and will throw in a set of 2 inch headers as well. I need to know if this is a good deal and what I should be asking him. Please reply
Thanks
George

Post by George »

I heard of cores in this range. If it's 10K rebuilt, grab it!
DHEMI

Post by DHEMI »

Buy it!
OldMoparGuy

Re: 1967 Hemi Engine

Post by OldMoparGuy »

The original '66 to'71 Street Hemi's came with a cast Iron dual-plane intake manifold,and 2 Carter AFB 4 barrel carbs. Mopar Performance claims that their new aluminum single four barrel intake with a Holley 850 will make as much power.
That manifold should be good for your engine,pick the right holley carb for it(I suggest a 750 cfm vacuum secondary for lower performance or auto-tranny,or an 850 double pumper for best performance),I also strongly suggest you try to get the carb with electric choke,or you can buy the kit cheap from Holley to convert it.
Sounds like you found a great motor! :)
mart

Post by mart »

The stock street hemi dual-quad intake was aluminum
- not cast iron.
mart
============================
Liu Kang

Post by Liu Kang »

thats a great deal, so you bought it right? what are you going to do with it?
allen

Post by allen »

The engine is being machined and put together. I hope to have it by the end of June. I have a 1972 Cuda that I hope to put it in someday. I am not a mechanic so I am going to see if I can get someone who knows what he is doing and is not going to charge a fortune.