Hemi headers

Discussion about the Hemi in general.

Moderator: scottm

CrAzY MoPaR GuY

Hemi headers

Post by CrAzY MoPaR GuY »

Anybody got THESE headers...?
LOL!
I'm gonna make my own, 2 1/8" primaries into 3 1/2" collectors. I've got 3/8" flanges and collector rings, 16 gauge mandrels, and not much space.
TrWaters

headers

Post by TrWaters »

Who sells that kit?
CrAzY MoPaR GuY

NOBODY!
:lol:
I designed the flanges and had them made out of 3/8" steel, I bought the "U" and "J" bends, and the collectors are available all over the place.
The pipe is 16 gauge, which is heavier than the 18 gauge that Hooker sells. I still have to make my EFI's O2 sensor bungs, but that's no big deal.
I looked at every possibility I could think of, and decided to bite the bullet. All the parts cost me $960.00 Canadian, which is steep, but I will hopefully get EXACTLY what I want.
CrAzY MoPaR GuY

Driver's side mocked up after final fit........
Here's a photoshopped version to remove the tape so you can tell what they should look like when done....
Hemidakota

Post by Hemidakota »

JBA does.

But again, as posted before, the concept of exhaust manifold is to tweaked them with little runners as possible and less bends as possible. Anything that can cause exhaust flow lost due to runner length, to crazy bends in the piping.

The 03 Hemi exhaust was tuned and tweaked for effiency from the factory. Unless you plan to modify the engine, NG ECU, and other little goodies, you are plain wasting money.

Comparing a swapout of the HEMI OEM EXHAUST to a shortie headers is less than 2 percent at the most gain. Now, if you want to blow 500 dollars on a good set of headers with no added performance, then go for it.

This comes from the designer of the Hemi Exhaust manifold.
Steve
Future Purchase: 2006 Charger SRT-8/2006 MegaCab 6.1 Hemi
"Coming soon 600HP SRT-10 to pull the SRT-4 & SRT-8 Charger to the track!"
CrAzY MoPaR GuY

HUH!?!?!

My headers are for a stroker 426 style Hemi in a 1940 Plymouth.
What are you talking about?!?!

The "designer of the Hemi exhaust manifold"?

Who do you think that is? The Hemi has been around for decades and decades.... The stock exhaust manifold on a performance Hemi is one of the most restrictive parts on the engine for making horsepower.

I'll be into my headers for around $2000.00 by the time they are done. Tell that to "the designer"!
LOL!
Hemidakota

Post by Hemidakota »

CrAzY MoPaR GuY wrote:HUH!?!?!

My headers are for a stroker 426 style Hemi in a 1940 Plymouth.
What are you talking about?!?!

The "designer of the Hemi exhaust manifold"?

Who do you think that is? The Hemi has been around for decades and decades.... The stock exhaust manifold on a performance Hemi is one of the most restrictive parts on the engine for making horsepower.

I'll be into my headers for around $2000.00 by the time they are done. Tell that to "the designer"!
LOL!
Since there is no listing of exactly what Hemi engine, you were referring too, I took the statement as the latest engine provided by Dodge.

With the latest Hemi development, gas dynamics has changed since the 60s and the 70s with stock engines.

Your knowledge of the old engine engineering is correct but not with today's engine. By placing a pair of headers on this motor 5.7, or the 6.1, is a waste of money. Even the latest exhaust is a mandrel bent tubing with one CAT and large oversize muffler. Any gains may come will be from the restrictive muffler not with headers.

With the 426 Hemi, that is a entirely different story.
Steve
Future Purchase: 2006 Charger SRT-8/2006 MegaCab 6.1 Hemi
"Coming soon 600HP SRT-10 to pull the SRT-4 & SRT-8 Charger to the track!"
MG42pillbox

Post by MG42pillbox »

this is true Steve, But even the original 426 HEMI Exhaust manifolds were very free flowing in comparison to other Wedge or polyspherical engines that were designed by Chrysler, or even GM, and ford. So Chrysler is just repeating history... Its funny how the HP to TQ curve on the 5.7 mag VS the 5.9 mag is much closer. Just like the 426Hemi power curves were closer than the 413 or 440 Wedges. This must be an advantage because the cast Iron V10 Around 310hp and 450 or so lbs of TQ doesn't impress me like the 5.7s power... Whats funny is how the 440 Six pack cars were actually faster than the more powerful 426 HEMI mopars.(And yes thats with the same gear ratio) Im sure I dont need to explain why. :D Oops I have taken up too much time sorry. BTW Crazy Mopar, Those are some SICK Headers.

Alan
One whose life is Infecting others with Falsehood, shall fall greater than any of their Victims.
CrAzY MoPaR GuY

>>>>>>>>>BTW Crazy Mopar, Those are some SICK Headers. <<<<<<<<<

Ummmmmmmm?
Meaning... what?
MG42pillbox

Post by MG42pillbox »

they are extremely impressive
One whose life is Infecting others with Falsehood, shall fall greater than any of their Victims.
CrAzY MoPaR GuY

Well, the headers are finished....

Now onto the exhaust!!!!!!!
scottm

Post by scottm »

Those are awesome, Crazy. Keep up the good work!
quickd100

headers

Post by quickd100 »

I'm new to the site, some of you my know me from Moparts. As far as headers go, I post some pictures of some sick headers I made up 2 winters ago for my ongoing 528 hemi project later tonite. Dave :lol:
ImageImage
CrAzY MoPaR GuY

Nice looking truck!!!!!!!

Any more info on the truck? Crate Hemi, or..?
quickd100

Post by quickd100 »

Crazy; It's a 1960 Dodge D100, 9.2-1 440 currently. Best dragstrip times are; 1.63-60ft., 7.70-1/8, 12.20@106.88-1/4. Mostly street driven with a few trips to the strip each year.
I've been Slowly working on building a 528, 720 hp pump gas hemi for it. 2 winters ago I built the motor mounts and headers for it that you see in the picture. I bought a headersbyed kit and had Ed Henaman design the headers for me. They are 2-1/8"x34" with a 3-1/2" collector. The primaries are all within 1" of each other.
I was going to have my siamese hemi block bored but it failed the sonic check. I'm currently waiting for MP to start casting blocks again to get a replacement.
The rest of the motor consists of a MP 4.15 stroker crank, Manley 6.965 sportsmaster rods with .990 small ends, Custom 10-1 JE pistons, C&A lead indium bearings, Milodon duel line oiling system, MP 614/598 cam, Weiand tunnel ram with 2 750 AFB's, I may also try a pair of 850 thermoquads on it. ATI Superdamper, '68 cast iron

heads with SS valves. I've also built a sheetmetal single four tunnelram and have a BG 1140 stage III reaction time dominator to try on it.
It should put the truck into the mid to high 10's and be very street friendly.
ImageImage
CrAzY MoPaR GuY

Well, that's MY KINDA TRUCK!!!!!

LOL!

Any more pics of the truck, engine compartment with the 440, or? Do you have a website?
crash

Post by crash »

what motor should i get for my 1974 plymouth duster? it will be a daily driver form school to work(about 10-20 miles) it has a buster 360 that i blow the o-rings. i wanted to knbow what kind of set-up i should put on it. (this car will be used to pick-up girls)
CrAzY MoPaR GuY

You have quite a few options?
A strong 360 would be an obvious choice for "best bang for the buck", dress it all up to impress the bettys...?
A 440 would entail more work, you could toss in a fairly stout 440 and impress with the power.
A Hemi is great if money isn't a big concern, but it DOES get pricey.

It really depends what you want for power, and what you want to spend?