Need advice

Discussion about the Hemi in general.

Moderator: scottm

okwian

Need advice

Post by okwian »

I have a 70 Superbee with a built 440. I want to switch to a hemi either 64-71, crate engine, or a rebuild a wet race engine.

I will call it a recreation, tribute or whatever fancy name its called at the time. I want to know about the problems I might have putting a hemi in a non-hemi car.

Do I need a K member. Can I use a serpentine belt system or do I need to stay stockish. My car did not come with AC but if I keep it I'll need vintage air so I'm leaning serpentine for a restomod. What other problems will I have? I'm looking at a KB wet motor with a 11-1 CR. I might shave the pistons some to run it on pump gas and I'll need to change the cam from the 800 lift to a roller 600 lift +/-. I'm pretty sure its a tall block with raised cam since its 4 3/8 sleeves and 4.5 stroke but I'll check.

Any other issues like cooling, etc appreciated.

Thanks
66blvee

Re: Need advice

Post by 66blvee »

Hello, I put a Hemi in my poly 318 satellite and it was pretty simple. Everything on the front of your 440 will bolt on to your Hemi, so whatever belt/pulley setup your using now will work except for the lower pulley. The Hemi has a thicker balancer so that should be all you would need different (pulley). You will need the 8 bolt flywheel or flexplate for the back of the crank.
As far as mounts go it depends what design your block has now. Probably has bolt holes, so get a set of Schmacher conversion mounts($250.00) and it will drop right in. I would bolt the exhaust (header or manifold ) on it with the engine on the stand and fit the dipstick tube, that was the biggest problem I had. Even when I got it in the car I still had to make changes. If you are running alumiunm heads 11:1 compression is O.K. but with iron heads thats going to be to much. Probably need around 9:2 to 9:7.
Good Luck, you will enjoy it.