HI New Guy Here! Desoto Hemi Question

Discussion about the Hemi in general.

Moderator: scottm

brian hood

HI New Guy Here! Desoto Hemi Question

Post by brian hood »

Hello Everyone!
I was wondering, I have a 73 Swinger A body and a good Desoto Hemi (276). I read that the Hemi is 31 7/8 inches wide. I would like to retro this engine into my A body. My question is has anyone on this form done this before? Should I assume that since a 318 was used in these cars a small Desoto Hemi could be made to fit? I wonder how wide is a 318? I measured the distance between the shock towers and it was something like 29 inches. When the engine is measured, isnt it from its widest point? Would the wider point be a little higher and fit between the towers? I found an artice about putting a 331 into a B or E body. It gave some pretty info about that type of fit, but I wonder if it would be applicable to a 276. Additionally, it has power steering. Can I get a smaller box (manual) from another Mopar? Would one from a 6cyl work or is it too small? What about retroing in a rack from a Dakota or something simular to make it into a front steer (its rear now). Would this give enough room? Any ideas?
Brian
George

Re: HI New Guy Here! Desoto Hemi Question

Post by George »

I've seen a 331 in a Dakota & Grand Spaulding put big blocks in Darts, so it might fit. How about sump location?
timshemi

Post by timshemi »

i have seen a 70's duster with a 426 hemi so i would think a desoto might fit. from what i remember though, the guy had to change everything in the front end. rack and pinion, electric fan, custom k frame, heaver torsion bars, possibly firewall mods, moved break m/c. It did look stock from the factory though
johnny5

Post by johnny5 »

There have been plenty of 354's and 392's stuffed into early A-bodies so a later one should be a breeze. It may not slide right in but the modifications required are very minor compared to a big block swap and there are thousands of those out there.
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

You can definitely fit it in there, but the power steering will have to go. Pretty much any Mopar manual steering box will work, but there are two different size sector shafts available (the splined shaft that the pitman arm goes on) so you would want to watch for that. You would also have to change the steering shaft or buy an adapter for your shaft, as the manual steering box uses a shaft approx. 2" longer and a different size spline. Headers would be a custom deal, as there's nothing being made that will fit that application.
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
NE57

Post by NE57 »

>Headers would be a custom deal, as there's nothing being made that will fit that application.

This may or may not have relevance to your situation...
I haven't reached the point of squeezing it in yet(392, 66 Dart) but from preliminary measuring, which could be off I admit, it appears that using 4 tube shorties with a conventional collector the interference will be on the collector and steering box edge. I'm hoping a few well placed hammer whacks might take care of it. But PAW's shorties have a different collector which looks much closer to the block. Now if PAW made then for desotos that might be good, but they don't. But maybe you could follow that recipe for the Desoto? Hot Heads makes a block hugger header that from the pic, looks like it has smaller tubes/collector so that might be an option. I would suggest get the uncoated ones so you can *massage* them if you need to.

Anyway, the cast iron manifolds look to me like an easier fit. Header clearance issues will diminish with more engine setback, but that opens up problems with the firewall and tunnel, oil pan and oh yeah boring stuff like the heater box and trans mount.

There's only one way to find out for sure...do it.

This first pic shows about where the interference will be on the 4tube. You can see that even a little setback will help some, as it moves the collector back from that corner edge of the box. Of course since I haven't actually DONE IT yet its just educated guessing.

The other three pics show how the iron manifold leaves more room. (oops looks like 3's my limit, see next post)

Being that the 276 is smaller than the 392, and the later A body, I hear, has a roomier engine bay, your fitment problems might be easier.

As far as R&P goes, from what I've researched, a front mounted rack will cause bump steer unless you can get it mounted up high enough for proper linkage geometry(the rack ends links have to be parallel to the movement of the lower A arms). For a dragcar...who cares, but for the street I'll guess you don't like unhappy surprises when you drive. If you try a rear mounted R&P you've got to 1( have a place to mount it to, 2) clear the oilpan, 3) its one more thing to get in the way of exhaust system.

I've been told it can't be done. Hrumph, you can do anything with enough blood, sweat, and money. If you WANT that Hemi in that car, you'll find the way to do it. It won't be drop in but that's what makes it fun.

Good luck and get yourself motivated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NE57

Post by NE57 »

last one
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.