Nascar Hemi in Daytona and Superbird?

Discussion about the Hemi in general.

Moderator: scottm

Cyberbob

Nascar Hemi in Daytona and Superbird?

Post by Cyberbob »

Hi

Im looking for some literature over the specifications of the Nascar hemi engine in the Daytona and Superbird. Some day I want to build a clone of one of these engines.And maybe build a whole car clone.
So I am grateful for tips that may help in the process.
Web sites, movies, people or what ever there might be.
Best reg
1970 Road runner
440/4sp/Dana60
mart

Re: Nascar Hemi in Daytona and Superbird?

Post by mart »

Cyberbob wrote:Hi

Im looking for some literature over the specifications of the Nascar hemi engine in the Daytona and Superbird. Some day I want to build a clone of one of these engines.And maybe build a whole car clone.
Best reg
----------------
I'm not quite sure what you mean by the "Nascar hemi engine in the Daytona and Superbird". As delivered new from a Dodge or Plymouth dealer, the Daytonas and Superbirds only ever came with either a 440-4bbl (base engine) or a standard 426 Street Hemi as an an option. Chrysler never built any 'race ready' NASCAR stockers - the actual race cars where all hand assembled by various builders, mostly using bare 'bodies in white' and parts bought from or given to them by Chrysler. Likewise the NASCAR 'Race Hemi' engines' where all hand-assembled by various builders too, using a variety of Chrysler and aftermarket 'race' parts The most obvious *visual* difference between the the standard 426 Street Hemi and the NASCAR 'Race Hemis' was that NASCAR didn't allow the Hemi to run 2-4bbls even though that was actually 'stock' for the engine and instead limited them to a single-4bbl. Chrysler came up with two different 'single-4bbl intake and carb' combinations to meet the NASCAR's requirement - a single-4bbl 'bathtub-style' cross ram manifold using a 1050 cfm Holley Dominator carb for the super-speedways and a more conventional, 'dual-plane' single 4-bbl intake using a standard 4150-series (usually an 850 cfm double-pumper) Holley 4-bbl for short track use. The NASCAR-spec heads, cranks, rods and pistons and other internal parts were all specialized 'race' parts too, but stuff that mostly wouldn't be visible or needed just to build a clone.

mart
=========================
George

Post by George »

440 6 pack also
mart

Post by mart »

George wrote:440 6 pack also
440-6BBl was optional in the Superbirds only.
No 440-6 pack in the Daytona from the factory.

mart
============================
Cyberbob

Post by Cyberbob »

mart wrote:
Cyberbob wrote:Hi

Best reg
----------------
I'm not quite sure what you mean by the "Nascar hemi engine in the Daytona and Superbird". As delivered new from a Dodge or Plymouth dealer, the Daytonas and Superbirds only ever came with either a 440-4bbl (base engine) or a standard 426 Street Hemi as an an option. Chrysler never built any 'race ready' NASCAR stockers - the actual race cars where all hand assembled by various builders, mostly using bare 'bodies in white' and parts bought from or given to them by Chrysler. Likewise the NASCAR 'Race Hemi' engines' where all hand-assembled by various builders too, using a variety of Chrysler and aftermarket 'race' parts The most obvious *visual* difference between the the standard 426 Street Hemi and the NASCAR 'Race Hemis' was that NASCAR didn't allow the Hemi to run 2-4bbls even though that was actually 'stock' for the engine and instead limited them to a single-4bbl. Chrysler came up with two different 'single-4bbl intake and carb' combinations to meet the NASCAR's requirement - a single-4bbl 'bathtub-style' cross ram manifold using a 1050 cfm Holley Dominator carb for the super-speedways and a more conventional, 'dual-plane' single 4-bbl intake using a standard 4150-series (usually an 850 cfm double-pumper) Holley 4-bbl for short track use. The NASCAR-spec heads, cranks, rods and pistons and other internal parts were all specialized 'race' parts too, but stuff that mostly wouldn't be visible or needed just to build a clone.

mart
=========================
Thanks alot, that was the kind of info I was looking for. Do you know what was hiding inside also? heads, cranks. rods or pistons etc (for any of the teams). How much horsepower did they manage to get out of the engins ?
Patrick
1970 Road runner
440/4sp/Dana60