Failed 5.7L Hemi......my findings

Discussion about the Hemi in general.

Moderator: scottm

Dr. Righteous

Failed 5.7L Hemi......my findings

Post by Dr. Righteous »

Hey Guys, Newbie here.
Yeah I gotta Hemi; with a hole in it.

Take a look at this site where I have a writeup on the subject.
Lemme know what you think.

https://sites.google.com/site/blownuphemi/
speedicusmaximus

Re: Failed 5.7L Hemi......my findings

Post by speedicusmaximus »

Doc,

This is a little weird, baring in mind that you've no knowledge of the Durango being raced. I wonder what happened before you owned it though ....

Anyway, Hot Rod Magazine has just done a feature on tuning/breakage problems with the Gen. III Hemi, it's transmissions (auto & manual) and (car) rear axles: In the feature, this type of problem with pistons comes down to detonation in the cylinder chamber - was it on the inlet side of the piston ? That side has most of the problems with cracks/damage because of this. Have you checked to see if the ignition advance/knock sensors are working OK ?

There are problems with the con-rods, but not till you get some power out of the Hemi, or raise the RPM somewhat.

That's the good news. The bad news is it's not on-line, so you'll have to find a HRM May 2011 issue for that information - Sorry !

Neat hole in the block !

MIke
Beep ! Beep !
Dr. Righteous

Post by Dr. Righteous »

speedicusmaximus wrote:Doc,

This is a little weird, baring in mind that you've no knowledge of the Durango being raced. I wonder what happened before you owned it though ....

MIke
RACED?? Typical knee jerk reaction. Someone "caused it". Nope, this is just plain POOR QUALITY.

For your information rod failures for '03 and '04 Hemis are not all that uncommon. It happens primarily in heavy vehicles (Durangos, Big RAM trucks). Rods need more beef for heavy vehicles. These first gen hemis didn't have it. The 05 and later do not suffer from these problems.

Look at this site:
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX?14@@.f1dd4b2/0

Don't believe all those people are RACING their Durangos.
timshemi

Post by timshemi »

ok so you knew that 03 and 04 hemi's in the bigger vehicles were prone to this, yet you still bought one with 130,000 miles on it? it threw the rod two years after you bought it and now you want chrysler to pay for it?
Dr. Righteous

Post by Dr. Righteous »

timshemi wrote:ok so you knew that 03 and 04 hemi's in the bigger vehicles were prone to this, yet you still bought one with 130,000 miles on it? it threw the rod two years after you bought it and now you want chrysler to pay for it?
What??

Of course not! We purchased this vehicle in the spring of '08; it had 89K on it.
I learned all this AFTER the engine failed and started researching this issue.
And I was SHOCKED that it is not an isolated incident. I'm willing to chock it up to Growing Pains.
The 4.7l and the 5.7l hemi are the first ALL NEW (not based on legacy design) engines in 50 years.
Previously, new engines were build by modifying a proven successful design.
Here these fledglings are less than perfect. But a good foundation is laid.