My First HEMI

Discussion about the Hemi in general.

Moderator: scottm

scottm

My First HEMI

Post by scottm »

That's right, it's my first HEMI. I think the first mod is going to be exhaust. 8)

395-hp HEMI V8, 8-speed Torqueflite and 3.55 limited-slip diff. What great stuff.

scottm

Re: My First HEMI

Post by scottm »

Actually it appears my 3.55 anti-spin rear axle is actually a 3.21 anti-spin. Both the window sticker and the RAM Trucks website say the 26Y package comes with a 3.55 rear axle, but that's not what my truck came with. There's a 3.21 tag on the axle, and the Ram Trucks' Equipment Listing tool agrees.
George

Post by George »

cool! Probably will get better MPGs with those! :D
BlueDjinn

Post by BlueDjinn »

I don't know how mechanically inclined you are, but if it were mine and I really wanted to know, I'd pull the differential cover exposing the gear set. Count the number of teeth on the pinion gear, count the number of teeth on the ring (crown) gear and do the math. Divide the ring teeth by the pinion teeth. The answer is your ratio. Then you don't have to wait for Chrysler to get back to you. You'll know. Worried about warranty violation? Don't tell anyone you were in there. Simple.
scottm

Post by scottm »

There was a mistake with the RAM website and some of the window stickers. They dropped the 3.55 from availability in the 8-speed HEMI Rams sometime last year. The tow ratings were adjusted, so the 3.21 with the 8-speed is roughly the same as the 3.55 with the older 6-speed. I've been in touch with Chrysler and they are making my situation right.

Now to get a better exhaust on this thing... 8)
George

Post by George »

scottm wrote:. I've been in touch with Chrysler and they are making my situation right.
So what does that mean? They going to give you the 3.55s that were on the paperwork?
scottm

Post by scottm »

George wrote:So what does that mean? They going to give you the 3.55s that were on the paperwork?
I'm not getting 3.55 gears, but I'm getting compensated in other ways for the error.
scottm

Post by scottm »

scottm wrote:That's right, it's my first HEMI. I think the first mod is going to be exhaust. 8)
Almost 18 months into the truck -- what are my thoughts about the truck now?

The power is great. Towing our boat has never been easier.
Tons of interior space. Parking is always a challenge though.

I do have 1 complaint. I'm 18 months into this truck and already have 3 recalls.
2 for air bag related problems and 1 to stop hackers from taking over the truck.
Too many bells and whistles. At least it's not fire related recalls like my GMs...