Fram Filters

Discussion about the Hemi in general.

Moderator: scottm

Adj.Crank

Fram Filters

Post by Adj.Crank »

Have you ever looked up what oil filter to use for a specific application ?
The google search will take you to many, many, many forums. I have noticed that there is a lot of Fram Oil Filters bashing.
"Fram oil filters are junk, don't waste your money" as many of the people on various forums say.
Fram Company has been around a long time and are even used on various racing circuits.
I am not a expert or a professional of anything automotive, but I have been using Fram Filters and products for over 50 years.
I never had any problems using their products.

So, Does anybody know of or have any REAL proof as to why people are bashing Fram Filters ?
Where did this start ?

Speculation #1: Did someone blow an engine one day and the builder, who did not want to be blamed for the possible engine failure, told the customer it was because he used a Fram Filter and it started from there ??

I cut open a Fram oil filter and a WIX oil filter today. Did not see any difference.
Both had the same number of Microns for the filter elements.
Both had the same PSI drainback valve.
I used a Wix oil filter for comparison because quite a few people on the various forums say, "use a Wix filter instead of a Fram, Fram are junk".
How can two oil filters, Fram & WIX, with the same specs, have one "that is junk" and the other is preferred ?
George

Re: Fram Filters

Post by George »

There was a guy going by the name of something like "Dan the oil guy" who had photos of cut open filters, the Fram looked really bad.
scottm

Post by scottm »

I have 100s of thousands of miles on FRAM oil filters with no engine problems.
George

Post by George »

You pay your money & take your chances. I use wix, why risk it over a couple $$$$.
billt

Post by billt »

I have used Fram Filters for over 40 years and have NEVER had a issue related to them.