Why do the Fords not use Ford engines, GM use Gm engines and Toyota use Toyota engines?

Discussion about the Hemi in general.

Moderator: scottm

BlueDjinn

Why do the Fords not use Ford engines, GM use Gm engines and Toyota use Toyota engines?

Post by BlueDjinn »

This question, asked by a guy in Nashville, with regard to NHRA Top Fuel, received a "reply". Personally, I found that the reply was the typical "ring around the rosie" and "all around the mulberry bush" that comes from someone that quite simply hasn't got a clue, or, has shares in a slice of the pie. The question deserves an answer. I'll answer it.

Power is not created by the engine. The engine "contains" and manages the power that is produced by the fuel. In the case of nitromethane, "containment" is a critical issue. The only engine that provides this containment is the Chrysler designed HEMI®
Nitromethane will expose all of the inherent weaknesses of every engine, with a catastrophic failure, given the nature of the fuel. It is like running an engine on dynamite. This is not the smooth, controlled combustion, that powers your daily driver.

Back in the early days of nitro, which I remember well, all of the manufacturers took their "kick at the can". Oldsmobile engines were blowing the heads off at around 800 horsepower. Buicks blew up. Pontiacs blew up. Ford's 427 SOHC would split the block and dump the mains at 1500 horsepower. Sanctioning bodies like NHRA eventually forbade anyone to run a Ford 427 SOHC on nitro at their tracks, because it was a given that the Ford would "grenade" and oil down the strip. Chevrolet's RAT was blowing the heads off at 2300 horsepower. When it was all over but the "snivelling", the Chrysler designed HEMI® was all by itself in Top Fuel, where it continues today, at between ten to eleven thousand horsepower.

When Chrysler got serious about drag racing, they decided that their HEMI® block would be aluminum. Already familiar with the talents of Keith Black from his work in their Marine division, Chrysler contracted Black to produce their block, as he was already set up for aluminum. Former Chrysler engineer, Robert (Bob) Tarozzi, adjusted the Chrysler factory engineers' blueprint for the iron HEMI®, to the properties of aluminum. Working from that blueprint, Keith Black produced the HEMI® Top Fuel block with a MOPAR® part number. P3690433 for example. The crankshaft in the engine was an over-the-counter, stock, Chrysler.

When the NHRA adopted and mandated this architecture as their Top Fuel "Regulation Engine", it was very much a Chrysler; and to this day it's still a Chrysler design, no matter who produces it. As per regulations, the NHRA Top Fuel engine must conform to the "base architecture" of the 1964 426 Chrysler factory race HEMI®. Engine producers did not design this engine. Chrysler engineers did. That hasn't changed. There is no getting away from this.

That certain unscrupulous individuals don't want to credit Chrysler for today's Top Fuel engine, is all "smoke and mirrors". As soon as you rightfully call it the HEMI®, which is trademark registered, you're calling it a Chrysler anyway.
Certain individuals don't seem to want to know that "theft of intellectual property" is exactly that; it's theft; and defrauding the public about what they "think they're seeing" is also a crime, for which certain individuals belong in jail.

There is only "ONE" engine in the NHRA Top Fuel classes. Not a couple, not a few, not some and not most; "all of them" are exclusively Chrysler type HEMI® engines, reflective of their architecture, as mandated by the NHRA.
Why? Because all of the other makes weeded themselves out by blowing up. That's why.
jet

Re: Why do the Fords not use Ford engines, GM use Gm engines and Toyota use Toyota engines?

Post by jet »

Back in the eighties Chrysler ran advertisements in Popular Hotrodding magazine thanking Ford and GM for running Mopar engines in their cars.It was directed at top fuel and alcohol cars mainly and it always made me smile.
JET
BlueDjinn

Re: Why do the Fords not use Ford engines, GM use Gm engines and Toyota use Toyota engines?

Post by BlueDjinn »

Yes, I remember. I did a deep belly laugh on that one myself. That magazine ad appeared a few times. It was direct connection racing highlights, from CHRYSLER CORPORATION;

"We'd like to take this opportunity to thank Ford and GM for using Chrysler engines in their Funny Car racers."

It was funny then. Now, every time I hear about Ford, Chevrolet or Toyota power in Top Fuel I want to do a technicolor yawn. What I'd really like, is to see everyone involved in this sham selling pencils out of a tin cup. It would look good on 'em.