Hemi Social Significance

Discussion about the Hemi in general.

Moderator: scottm

think_07

Hemi Social Significance

Post by think_07 »

What would you say is the Social Significance of the Hemi Engine on society? Particularly hemispherical cylinder heads. Thank you very much, I'm doing a report for my physics class.
HemiFish69

Post by HemiFish69 »

The social impact of a certain type of internal combustion engine on society. hmm.
On society as a whole, there probably is no effect. More likely, its influence can only be measured in the car-culture subsets that adhere to a particular brand.
For those people who only associate with certain makes of vehicles, the existence of a a feature or powerplant that is originally a race-only item, (i.e. Hemi), I think that it just gives those individuals a reason why their preference is better than their rivals. Remember, racing, (bench or otherwise) is competitive, and many of us have a belief that some vehicles are better than others.
For example, my facination with this motor started when as a teenager, I read articles extolling the engineering legacy of Mopar over the other makes, detailing the Dodge brothers start as the engine makers for Ford, or the single purpose that Tom Hoover and co. had in designing a motor (the hemi) for racing. Don't forget the first Chrysler hemi, an inverted v-16 made by Mopar for the air force experimental aircraft. These stories made me a mopar fan then until now.
The social aspect? I'm part of a group that looks at cars as more than a mode of transportation. That is the measurable social impact. The Hemi just made me more fanatical about it.
An expert is someone called in at the last minute to share the blame.
crash

Post by crash »

true i could never get how some people can just get in there car and drive around with out changing oil, tune-up, ect. Then they get surpriced that it doesn't start or starts to burn oil. With me, i have always liked to take care of cars (my moms, dads, bros and mine of course). I love waking up and going yeah i have to work on my car today! I also feel kinda sad when i have it running good and don't need to do anything to it.

anyways back to the subject! I think there is no big social impact. because now at thies day people buy cars and 3-4 years later they trade them in for new ones. You realy have to be a car person for it to have an impact. All people want is a car (or motor) that is "cheap", runs forever, low maintanince, and gets them to where they need to go. aww what sad times we live in :cry:
moe74

Social Impact of Hemis

Post by moe74 »

Grettings from The Air Capatil, Wichita, Kansas. Moe here Not that Mr. Hemifish69 is all wrong but the first Hemis were NOT race engines. They were every day drivers, as a matter of fact the first Chry. Hemi was 331ci. only made 180 HP. had a 2bd carb. And dont forget it was in a very heavy Chry. body, 1951. BUT what does make the Hemi an ameracain icon is that, drag racers took a regular daily driver engine. And turned it into a screeming engine, for the fastest excelareting machines in the late 60s. That is what I loved about drag racing in the late 60s, I do NOT like what has hapened to drag racing. My dad and I would go to the races and wach a 392 Hemi dragster turn 7.05 @180 MPH. Then we would walk out to parking lot get our 57 New Yorker, 392 Hemi, and drive home, that was somthing the Chevy guys couldnt do!!!
crash

Post by crash »

man that is a nice story :cry:
yeah that's what i like about super street :lol:
Hemi_is_God

Post by Hemi_is_God »

The Hemi is definitely an important part of our society, and I hate those lameos that make fun of the hemi and act like we're trying to brainwash everybody else into getting a hemi.
Any man that does not get wood at the sight of a Hemi is a dirty queer and ought to be shot.
6pkrunner

Post by 6pkrunner »

Actually the 426 RB based engine was a race engine. It was because of Bill France's insistance that any engine raced at the Superspeedways had to be one that was available to the general public. Ford backed off and shelved their 427 SOHC motor for NASCAR, but Mopar buckled under and detuned it for passenger cars. And thus it began. The 66s and 67s were deemed to be too detuned and in 1968 the 276 cam was upped the next timing step to 284 degrees. Mopar had no plans to offer it as a street motor.
The Ford cammer was available over the shelf as a drag motor. Ford's next NASCAR endeavour was the Boss429 that strangely was only available in Mustangs, but raced NASCAR in Torinos.