What octain do you use in you hemi?

Discussion about the Hemi in general.

Moderator: scottm

crash

What octain do you use in you hemi?

Post by crash »

what octain do you guys use?
I use 91 cuz anything less goes through my motor like you know through a goss!
04hemi

what octane do you guys use in your hemi?

Post by 04hemi »

What are you talking about???? I tried to read your words and understand them, but was very much unable to!!!! :o Just try to read your own writing and see what you can make of it :lol: Not to bag on you to much, but pre-read your posts fella.....

By the way I use 89 Octane (it's what my 2004 Ram manual calls for) you got a manual?
JakeDogg

93 OCTANE every time!!

Post by JakeDogg »

I use 93 Octane Power Premium every time. I dont care how much it costs!! If the average person uses 87 Octane, then I am gettin about 5-8 Horsepower over him. Just something to think about! Do you like the real Coke or Sam's choice? I prefer the real thing.
2004 Rumble Bee 2wd HEMI: 3" Glasspack TRUE-DUALS!

2002 Harley Davidson FXDWG

2003 Mustang Cobra: MAC 3" Catback
krooser

Post by krooser »

I hate to rain on your parade but using a higher octane fuel than required is just wasting your $$$...you will not gain any power and may actually lose some...not my opinon, just the facts!
China...Great Food...Crappy Tools
JakeDogg

Post by JakeDogg »

I disagree. :roll:

Ritterkreuz

Post by Ritterkreuz »

I use 89 Octane only. Manuel says you can use 87, but 89 is prefered, so that's what I use.
NASCAR Nextel Cup, the Greatest Sport Ever.
2004 Ram 4x4 1500 Quad Cab
5.7L Hemi, Sport Appearance package
Babdoc

OCTANE

Post by Babdoc »

I noticed that the manual calls for 89 octane, as well. "What difference does it make? Anyone know?
PrettyBlueCoffin

Post by PrettyBlueCoffin »

Using higher octane is a wast of money if you do not have your ecm reprogrammed.
2004 RAM 1500 QUAD CAB(R) LARAMIE 4X2 SWB
3.92 Axle Ratio / Anti-Spin Differential
KGHemi

Post by KGHemi »

IMO, I think the auto makers tell you to use something cheaper because it lowers the TCO of your investment. I ran nothing but 93 in my 97 1500/360 and never had any issues. I think the engine will "get used to" whatever you run in it after a few tanks anyway. I read the manual and saw the 89 octane rated fuel as the prefered juice too. Will I run 92/93? I'll hang out on these user groups to see what everyone else thinks and make my decision from those posts. For now though, I think I'll follow the manual.
twistx

Post by twistx »

I'm running 89, because like others have said its what the manual recommends. The truck is tuned for 89, you should get the best performance by using it.

I've talked to a few mechanics and they say changing your octane a lot can be harmful to your engine.
2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Quad Cab, Sport, HEMI
Borla catback exhaust w/ split rear outlets
K&N 77-Series CAI

Soon:
-Edelbrock IAS shocks ( on backorder :( )
-Warn Trans4mer grille guard, light bar, winch carrier
9.5ti winch, SDB-210 spotlights
Ritterkreuz

Re: OCTANE

Post by Ritterkreuz »

Babdoc wrote:I noticed that the manual calls for 89 octane, as well. "What difference does it make? Anyone know?

My uncle has a 2000 Dodge Ram with the old 5.9L engine. His too calls for 89 but he has always used 87. He now has a knocking sound and it is suspected this is the result of using the lower grade over the course of tthe years.
NASCAR Nextel Cup, the Greatest Sport Ever.
2004 Ram 4x4 1500 Quad Cab
5.7L Hemi, Sport Appearance package
fast5800pdhemi

Post by fast5800pdhemi »

it is pretty much proven that all pump as sucks it has some much junk in it for emmission reasons that your engine is not just burning raw gas it is burning everything else in the process if you use the best octane you can get you keep evrything from gumming up like you injectors and so forth also all gas has water in it no matter where you go so if you are running 87 and water common sense says you have less power than someone running 93 or 92 why do you think you should run fuel injector cleaner through your engine every couple tanks to keep things clean and the fuel moving smoothly
JakeDogg

Post by JakeDogg »

Amen! I run 93 Octane every tank!

ValiantCharger

Post by ValiantCharger »

I can't believe that in america you only get octance ratings around 87 to 93. In Australia the regular is 95 premium is 98 and you can even get 100 octane at the pump. Whether it is rated different or something i don't know, but there is a definent difference between the lower and higer octances.
numba1

Post by numba1 »

I use 89 octane. here in cali. when the gas prices go up i'll use the medium grade. 91 octane when the prices drop :lol: That way i pay basically the same price for gas every time i fill her up.
Better to be a open sinner then a false prophet.
Live fast die young have a good looking corpes.
2005 QC hemi, white (stock)
95 acura gsr turbo (500hp)
92 honda civic turbo (383hp)
345 DeSoto

Post by 345 DeSoto »

First off, CRASH...WHICH Hemi are you refering to...'50's Hemis, '60-'70s Hemis, or current production "Hemis"? If it's current production, then you can use 87 and the knock sensors in your engine will compensate and you may notice a small decrease in performace with NO adverse effects to the engine, but you will also notice a BIG decrease in your fuel bills. If it's a '60's-'70's Hemi, unless you retard the timing (then what's the point in having a Hemi), you will have to use the highest octane available. If it's a '50's Hemi (stock), use 87. However, if you use 87 octane in a stock '50's Hemi you can advance the timing to get a NOTICEABLE increase in performance due to the fact that the CR is relatively low (by modern standards) allowing you to take advantage of this modern "High Octane" fuel by increasing the timing. The ONLY thing a higher octane does is to allow a higher CR or more advanced timing, without the fuel pre-igniting (knock/ping). If a higher octane is used in an engine designed for a lower octane, and the timing is not adjusted accordingly to take advantage, then there is NO advantage to using it. The timing setting which I use at the Track for 110 race fuel is NOT the same timing I use in the same engine for the Street. There are NO "magic ingrediants" in 93 octane fuel which aren't in 87 octane fuel...NONE. The additives are exactly the same in the SAME BRAND regardless of octane rating. Contrary to what the Gasoline Companys would have you believe, ALL gasoline comes out of the same pipes and into the fuel trucks which deliver it to the Gas Stations, except that the different octane ratings come out of different pipes. Each load is "Flash Blended', using each specific fuel company's (Mobil, Texaco, Hess, etc) specific formulation (additives), as it's being pumped into the Tanker. The point being that the ONLY difference in each specific company's fuel is the octane rating, NOT the formulation (detergents, seasonal vapor pressure modifiers, MTB's, etc.). 87 octane, 89 octane, 93 octane, SAME additives, different octanes...ask any gasoline Tanker Driver. I purchased my Cadillac Eldorado new in 1994 and although the Owners Manual, fuel gauge, and fuel filler door all say "Premium Unleaded Fuel", the fine print in the SERVICE Manual says 87 octane may be used with no adverse effects, however performance (horsepower) MAY be effected. The Northstar engine now has 204,000 miles on it and gets 20.6 MPG in town and 27.5 MPH highway without having had ANY problems ("gummed up" injectors, knocks, oil burning, etc). It continues to run as well as the day I took delivery. After all of this, this is a free Country and you may use ANY gasoline you feel comfortable with. For those with the new Hemi's, run your fuel tank as low as you can, then put 5 bucks worth of 87 in. I beleive you'll be very pleasantly surprised...