Crane hydraulic roller cam

Discussion about the Hemi in general.

Moderator: scottm

hopskid

Crane hydraulic roller cam

Post by hopskid »

:) Has anyone tried a crane hydraulic roller setup in their Hemi?
CrAzY MoPaR GuY

Post by CrAzY MoPaR GuY »

I actually WANTED to run a hydraulic roller in my engine, but the Barton camp wanted nothing to do with it.
I run one in my motorhome, it's got really good power, but it doesn't rev past 5400 rpm (360ci)

Are you thinking of running one?
hopskid

Crane 669531 Hydraulic roller cam

Post by hopskid »

I have one on order. Its a .564 intake/ .555 exhaust, 298/302 dur. I think it will work fine. I read an article in Mopar Muscle on a 426 crate Hemi they put through the paces on the dyno with a MECHANICAL roller setup. The results were impressive! I liked the idea of a hydraulic setup because of the lower maintenance involed.Im curious however as to why Barton did not like the idea. This hydraulic cam setup has a max RPM of 6500 ,which is plenty for my application. With 478 cubes, It should be a real boulevard bully!
CrAzY MoPaR GuY

I never got a REASON for the dislike of the hydraulic rollers, which kinda pissed me off a bit. I wanted to run one and it seemed they just didn't want to hear about it. A mechanical roller is a different animal, but most are billets, and require the soft intermediate shaft gear, which I didn't want.
Let me know how it works out, I'm more than curious!
hemipanter

Post by hemipanter »

CrAzY MoPaR GuY wrote:IA mechanical roller is a different animal, but most are billets, and require the soft intermediate shaft gear, which I didn't want.
Whats the problem? Shaft gear, do you mean distributor bronse gear.
I have been running my for years. To me, there is nothing but mecanical cams.
Goran Malmberg
CrAzY MoPaR GuY

Hey Goran! :D
The aluminum/bronze gears that are required to mesh with the billet cams "eat themselves" with use, so I understand anyways? You have run a billet roller cam on the street for years with NO trouble as far as the intermediate shaft goes??!

I talked to Barton's shop and they advised me I would have to change the gear twice a year, as well as put up with the alloy shavings in my oiling system/filter.

I would have LOVED to run a mechanical roller over all others. I would have settled for a hydraulic roller, but they sure didn't seem to like those!
hemipanter

Post by hemipanter »

CrAzY MoPaR GuY wrote:Hey Goran! :D
The aluminum/bronze gears that are required to mesh with the billet cams "eat themselves" with use, so I understand anyways? You have run a billet roller cam on the street for years with NO trouble as far as the intermediate shaft goes??!

I talked to Barton's shop and they advised me I would have to change the gear twice a year, as well as put up with the alloy shavings in my oiling system/filter.

I would have LOVED to run a mechanical roller over all others. I would have settled for a hydraulic roller, but they sure didn't seem to like those!
I have driven the camgear for 6500 miles. I use a KB oilpump, that I cut the housing down 1/8" to be able to use BB Ford gerotor gears, cheap and easy to get. So it is just a little bit less volume capacity which put the strain down on the gears. But thats a side effect and should not do such big difference. Normaly these gear also drives a large fuel pump on a top-fueler. OK, for a short distance.

If you want me to I will mail you a digi picture of my gear for you to have a look. Engine is appart for the winter service.

Gear change twice a year? What working time-distance are they talking about, and what capacity oil pump? Are there different quality broze-gears?
Cheers
Goran Malmberg
CrAzY MoPaR GuY

I'm sure there are different quality gears available?

I asked about 10,000 miles per year STREET car, with a melling style high volume external pump with 1/2" internal pick-up tube.

I would love to have any pics you could supply if you still have my email> Are you just "freshening", or...?

You were EFI if I remember correctly, are you gear drive or chain for your cam? What is your crank reference, a crank trigger, or..?

Thanks Goran!
hemipanter

Post by hemipanter »

I just heard that one of the cam manufacturer recomended mec roller inspection every 3000 miles. In the Pantera world a lot people had roller cam failure with 351C. Well, most people newer remove the manifold for these type of inspection so.... Also, check lash frequentley not to have to much play that hit the roller to hard, and dont open up the lash to soften an aggresive cam. Run lash on the tight side.

Takes work to stay on top.

Goran Malmberg