bohnalite supercharger

Discussion about the Hemi in general.

Moderator: scottm

andy

bohnalite supercharger

Post by andy »

does anyone know of this type of supercharger???

i have a 440 and a hemi and am wondering weather it would work with preflibly the :roll: 440
RoadMaster

Post by RoadMaster »

My understanding is that Bohnalite was a prototype and low-production company serving Detroit's desires. All their products were marked with "Bohnalite" and "aluminum". Had not previously heard of them making a blower manifold. They made parts from the '30s to about '60 as far as I can tell.
xxphatexx

Bohnalite

Post by xxphatexx »

I've heard of Bohnalite and recently picked up an aluminum Bohnalite roots type supercharger at a swap meet. I'm wondering if anyone knows anywhere where i can pick up a rebuild kit for this blower, as it is lacking the drive spindle and back plate. Thus far I haven't found anything useful on this blower, as it would appear the company dropped off the map. Any info would be appreciated.
strat

Post by strat »

hello, a buddy just today picked up a bohnalite blower at a garage sale. i have found very little info as well except that it is older and was used on hemi's back in the day. any help would be super.
xxphatexx

Post by xxphatexx »

I wish i could offer some help but I'm not finding anything, I discovered the original company Bohn aluminum, but have found nothing about their blowers or if they are still around. I'm taking it to a local speed shop to see if the guy there would know anything so i'll keep you guys posted then.
strat

Post by strat »

Thanks, we really want to find out what is going on with Bohnalite. man , i want to put this blower on something.....
xxphatexx

Post by xxphatexx »

Will do, it'll be a while. I'm really eager to get my blower on my car, but i need to find parts for it
strat

Bohnalite 6-71 Blower

Post by strat »

has anybody found out anything at all on the Bohnalite 6-71 Blower? mine is missing the end cover plates and gear drive at least. I cannot find a word out there. any info would be very helpful.
Blackmark

Bohnalite blowers

Post by Blackmark »

I just ran accrost this web site looking for info on my blower I picked up at the swap meet, looks like I'am in the same fate you guys are in the end plates are missing and there is no manifold, if I find out any thing I"ll let you guys know. looks like the 50.00 Bohnalite deal is a nother one of my couldn't pass deals I should have. ha ha
xxphatexx

Post by xxphatexx »

well yours was a better deal than mine, i paid $150 for mine and its missing the same parts the rest of this site is missing. Does anyone even know if the Bohn Aluminum company is still in business or did it die?
strat

Post by strat »

hey i just checked back in after months. i am in the middle, paid $100.00 at a garage sale. no end plate no manifold. this guy says it was for a chev small block, called it an 8-71??? man, this is unreal, someone out there must have parts/info. i will keep looking.
AndrÉ Monc

Bohnalite Blower

Post by AndrÉ Monc »

Hi guys. I´m from Brazil and a acidentily dicovery a 8V71 blower. It is a Bohnalite blower use in Detroit Diesel. I look for information and found some intresting stuff. Some of the parts the tradicional GMC 671 fix to this model, the braring plates and the end plates of my Bohnalite 8V71 blower are from a 671 GMC blower. The manifolds is the biggest problem until now form me.

http://www.fordflathead.com/blowersize.html - This site shows a lot of blower stuff, there has something about the Bohnalite V Series.

I´ll continue searching for information, any thing please contact by e-mail.
Good Luck to all

Sorry about some English mistakes.
André Monc

Mopar or no car!
Wrecked_Ems_Racing

Re: bohnalite supercharger

Post by Wrecked_Ems_Racing »

Hey guys. I have a Bohnalite blower as well, traded it for a Pugeot moped, which I got for free, so I guess in the end, Im odd man out in the price range for total output cost. Anyway, after that little brag, I just want to say for now that, when I showed it to the 70 year old rodder a few blocks over, he got tears in his eyes. Suffice it to say, that my idea of putting it on a destroked '53 Buick straight 8 has been kaboshed, & he is donating a 51 Desoto Hemi to put it on. I know, I know: life is rough right? So does anyone have pictures of their blowers they might want to post? As soon as I figure out how, I will post pictures before, during & after any mods we make. I'm missing a plate for one end, but, he says we can cast another one out of aluminum next spring. That & a snout...? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanx guys.
mart

Re: Bohnalite 6-71 Blower

Post by mart »

strat wrote:has anybody found out anything at all on the Bohnalite 6-71 Blower? mine is missing the end cover plates and gear drive at least. I cannot find a word out there. any info would be very helpful.
=========================
The 6-71 ''Bohnalite' blower is nothing special. It's the same as *any other* GM or Detroit Diesel 6-71 blower . Bohnalite is or was an aluminum casting company based in Detroit who supplied prototype and also regular production aluminum castings to the auto industry. At various times General Motors and Detroit Diesel had Bohnalite cast some of their blower cases and other parts for them. The Bohnalite-made 6-71 case is identical to any other GM or D.D. 6-71 blower case and any parts made for a regular 6-71 blower will work with it.

mart
==================================================
Wrecked_Ems_Racing

Re: bohnalite supercharger

Post by Wrecked_Ems_Racing »

Well THAT just took all the wind out of my sails. What the hell though. Im still going to have what I need custom cast JUST because I can. On the other hand, I am a CNC progammer, so, perhaps some billet pieces are in order....

P.S. Thanx for the info.