doomsday hemi!

Discussion about the Hemi in general.

Moderator: scottm

cbodymopars1

doomsday hemi!

Post by cbodymopars1 »

[b][i] i know i am not losing my mind, but several years ago i remember reading an article about what was called a doomsday hemi. if i remember correctly it was based on the 426 but it was an overhead cam engine and was reported to have around 900 horsepower. i know i wasnt dreaming and i dont do drugs so if anybody has ever heard of this engine or knows where i might find more info about it please let me know. [u]ahairymonster00@yahoo.com thanks! 8) [/u][/i][/b]
CsINE

Doomsday HEmi

Post by CsINE »

ok dude get this........
It was and double overhead cam 32-valve 426 Hemi. And get this it wasn't a pentroof hemi either it was a true hemispherical combustion chamber CAN YOU IMAGINE THE VALVE ANGLES?!?! then to top it all off it had a 16-branch intake manifold. The heads and intake were aluminum and yes it was 900 horsepower and it was designed right after FOrd introduced THere SOHC 427 so basically chrysler said "if they run this then we're gonna run this" and Bill FRance who was the director off nascar at the time took one look at those mills and flat out said "no overhead cams and no more hemi" and because of this Chrysler withdrew its factory support for the 1965 Race Season which is why the likes of even Richard Petty tried there hand at drag racing. But Chrysler annihilated Ford's efforts without even running that engine haha. There were rumored to have been 11 built but they were all ultimatley destroyed. There aint even pictures.
cbxlr8r

Post by cbxlr8r »

This is from the Allpar webpage...a great source of MOPAR information.

"Ford kicked up a fuss about not being allowed to run their overhead cam 427 cubic inch top oiler in anything but a large, weight penalized Galaxie body. Ford claimed that it was putting out 625 horsepower. NASCAR did not change their ruling. To emphasize that he meant what he said, Bill France visited both the Ford and the Chrysler engine factories in 1966. Ford showed him the huge overhead cam V-8. He just said no. When he got to Chrysler's factory, he saw that the 426 racing Hemi had been changed to enable it to be a normal street application engine. It was made clear to him that the Hemi 426 was now a regular production engine, available to anyone that had the money to buy it.

He also saw Chrysler's answer to the overhead cam Ford engine. Chrysler had a double overhead cam 426 cubic inch V-8. It was a monster. It had already turned over 800 horsepower in factory tests. France took one look at that engine and exclaimed that it would never be allowed at NASCAR. As well, neither would the Ford cammer engine. Ford's answer was to pull out of racing on April 15th 1966. It did not have the effect that Chrysler's pull out had on NASCAR. "

The direct link to that page is... http://www.allpar.com/racing/petty-plymouth-racing.html
hemikid

Post by hemikid »

There is one complete DOHC Hemi left, and it's located in Kansas City, or was as of a couple years ago. Not sure if it's moved since then or not. There are also rumors of some random parts floating around.
panic

Post by panic »

Last edited by panic on Sat May 08, 2004 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
CsINE

Post by CsINE »

Well, if had known the valve angles i wouldn't have said "imagine"....i dont' know the what the exact valve angles were but use your brain and think about it smart guy. Draw the combustion chamber and look at how the valve stems would have protruded at odd angles. Oddly enough look at how the valves in the boss 429 have odd angles, then imagine 2 mors valves opposite those and put 2 cams on top of it.....that'll give u some idea.
panic

Post by panic »

Last edited by panic on Sat May 08, 2004 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
m139

Post by m139 »

It is very possible for this motor to use a "hemispherical" combustion chamber, for two reasons, one no Hemi truly has a hemispherical chamber (a COMPLETE half of a sphere) they have more like 25% of a sphere or so and the 426 had less than the older motors, two, I had a Jeep J-200 (1964) with the "tornado" inline 230 c.i. six cylinder motor, this motor also is a "hemi" and has an overhead cam WITH rocker arms and only 6 lobes on the cam the same lobe ran both the intake and exhaust valve! Rocker arms with a "twist" could have been used effectivley as they were on alot of radial hemi aircraft engines in the 40's
m139binder
panic

Post by panic »

Last edited by panic on Sat May 08, 2004 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
firepower354

Post by firepower354 »

Hi, guys.
Radial Four Valve Chamber? Honda did it in the 80's with 4 stroke single dirt bikes. 8 rocker arms, (sub rockers pushed secondaries) and 1 cam. If it were an advantage you'd have seen it in F1 and Moto GP (4hp/cu.in naturally aspirated). I'm as big a fan of the hemi as anyone, but they really aren't very efficient unless you're stuffing 40 lbs of boost and a bucket of nitro through them. They look awesome, that's their advantage. Narrower valve angles make for a much better chamber and leave quench areas, and then there's piston weight.. Drasticly raised ports are the downside for packaging under a hood(354vs392 for ex). Wide valve angles were a ness evil for early air cooled engines to allow cooling, and low compression ratios were needed with the horrible fuels. Not sure this helps, but what the heck, we all got a voice right?