57 Chry.300C*390hp* 392 hemi

Discussion about the Hemi in general.

Moderator: scottm

ewoky409

57 Chry.300C*390hp* 392 hemi

Post by ewoky409 »

Does anybody know where I can get technical data on this engine?It was an extra cost option,and from the best I've been able to figure out,they only produced 150 of them.But I may be wrong.I haven't been able to chase down much more than the facts that they made them,they were only available in the 300C sport coupe(3 speed on the column and no power options),they put out 390hp@ 5400rpm,10.0:1 compression ratio,2-1/2" low back pressure exh.system,solid lifters,and they were not recommended for street use due to the long duration cam they had in them which caused them to idle rough.(valve overlap is 95 deg.)
The main things I'd like to know,is what the torque output is,redline rpm's,valve lift,idle rpm's,for sure how many were built,and any other info I can get.The eng.#'s begin with 3NE57.
I own one,and I'd like to get some idea of what it might be worth also, since it's so rare.
ewoky409
hemikid

Post by hemikid »

I thought the 390 horse motor was fuel injected, and then there was the 375 horse dual quad motor. There were a couple hundred fuelies built, but the injection units were so troublsome, Chrysler recalled them and converted them to the 375 horse carb set-up. Only about a dozen escaped the recall and made it with the injection intact. At least, that's the story I've always heard. I don't know as much about those early cars, but I think if you have an injected motor, that's better than the winning lottery ticket. Well, almost as good, anyway.
ewoky409

390 hp 392 hemi

Post by ewoky409 »

Chrysler built two versions of the 390 hp 392.The first was an extra cost option in the 57 300C Sport Coupe,which was a no power option model with a 3 speed on the column.The report I have is,Chrysler built only 150 of them.Just enough to qualify as a production model,so they could race it on the Nascar circuitas a stock car.But Nascar banned them from racing it,because no other auto company had an engine that could compete with it,so Chrysler made them available to the general public.It has a long duration,95deg.overlap,high rpm cam,(intake valve opens 48deg.BTDC,and exh.valve closes 47deg ATDC),valve lift:int.-.444,exh.-.435,mechanical lifters,high compression heads,and a 2 1/2 in.low back pressure exhaust system with 4 bolt cast iron exhaust headers.It was not recommended for street use however, due to rough idling and low power at slow speeds.(I'm lucky enough to own one).Chrysler also built 325hp,345hp,and375hp 392's in 57.The 375hp model is the other 392 found in the 300C.
Chrysler built a 390hp fuel injected 392 in 1958,but recalled it due to
design flaws in the "Bendix Electrojector" electronic fuel injection system.19 of them were sold,and all but 2 of them were turned in for conversion to a dual 4 barrel carburetor set-up.The other 392 in the 58 300D was the 380hp version.It also had dual 4 barrel carburetors.Both the 390hp,and the 380hp 392's had mechanical lifters in 1958,and the low back pressure exhaust system was available as an option.
ewoky409