Brand New 1987 Buick Grand Nationals Found

Humor, interesting links, and/or whatever else.
scottm

Post by scottm »

http://barnfinds.com/brand-new-1987-bui ... als-found/
I know there isn’t such a thing as a new 1987 Buick, but this pair of Grand Nationals is about as close to being new as you can get. Apparently, the original owner purchased the pair and simply parked both in their garage. And that’s pretty much where they have stayed ever since. A while back, the owner decided it was time to move them along, so they posted them on Facebook with an asking price close to $200k! That’s a crazy amount of money for any Grand National, but it caught the eye of one Grand National fan. He decided to contact the guy, just to have a look and boy was he glad he did.

It sounds like the seller was a bit eccentric and required William to jump through all kinds of hoops just to come take a look. After meeting all the requirement, he and a friend were finally allowed to come see the pair, so they made the three and a half hour drive. When they got there, the seller led them to an old house. They opened the garage door and sitting there were the “Twins”. They are identical with consecutive VIN numbers, so the nickname only seems fitting. Both are low mileage with their window stickers still in place and they have been together ever since leaving the factory.

William’s friend Shawn could afford to buy the pair, so he made an offer, but the seller was firm on their asking price. So he decided he needed to think about it before spending $200k on a pair of dusty Buicks. Given their history, they are likely worth more as a pair than individually, but the price still was too high. So they had to head home empty handed, but they spent the next month talking about the pair. In the meantime, Shawn found a Mustang he wanted, so he called the seller and retracted the offer he had already made on the pair. For whatever reason, it motivated the seller and they were finally able to make a deal. He called William and told him to get ready to make the drive back over to help him pick up the Twins.

They made the drive yet again. As soon as they arrived, they started inspecting the cars to make sure they hadn’t been messed with since their last visit. The seller started to get agitated and told them they couldn’t touch the cars until he got his money. So the seller and Shawn headed to the nearest back to get the money transferred. As soon as he was paid, they got the cars moved out and loaded into a trailer as fast as they could. Given the situation, I don’t blame them.

The Twins are now safe in Shawn’s shop, where they are going to be cleaned up and sorted. The headliners are sagging after all these years of sitting and they will likely need all the consumables replaced. Both car’s engines are in good shape though, so it shouldn’t be too difficult to get them both running again. One has 807 miles and the other has just 592 miles, so they haven’t even been fully broken in. Shawn plans on keeping them together and is going to be taking them to car shows. While I’m not a huge Grand National fan, I have to admit, this is an incredible find. The fact that they have consecutive VINs and are still together all these years later is amazing. I’m just glad to hear that they will be staying together for the foreseeable future!
Awesome! I love Buick Grand Nationals!