New Generation Hemi Under Glass Planned For 2020

Discuss the Hemi in current auto racing.
scottm

New Generation Hemi Under Glass Planned For 2020

Post by scottm »

Generation Hemi Under Glass Planned For 2020 – Hellephant Power, Modern LX Platform Body!
https://bangshift.com/bangshift1320/new ... -for-2020/
Well if this does not put a smile on your face, we’re not sure what will! Mike Mantel who is the current owner and driver of the Hemi Under Glass wheelstander is planning on building a new version of the car for today’s modern audiences. His place is to rear mount a Mopar Hellephant engine not the back of a modern LX platform Challenger and make quarter mile drag strip runs with the front end five feet in the air. There are multiple elements of this program that we love and it starts with the body itself.

Kids these days only see wheel standers made from old timey stuff for the most part. To see this car with a body that they recognize doing the two wheeled waltz down the track will hook them to the fence like velcro. We also dig the fact that he’s planning on using the Hellephant engine because it’s neat “factory” connection like the original car had with its 426 hemi in the back seat area.

Lastly, someone is building a bitchin’ wheelstander and it has been a good long while since we were all excited about the prospects of that! Wheel standers are the coolest drag racing exhibition vehicles and this is the type of car that we think will get lots of recognition and get people excited to see it run.

Neat stuff!

New Generation Hemi Under Glass for 2020

Mike Mantel, owner and driver of the iconic Hemi Under Glass, has announced that there will be a new updated version of the car targeted for 2020. Mantel points out that this falls in line with the heritage of the Hemi Under Glass as it was updated in the 60’s with each new year model. In fact, the first car constructed in ’65 no longer exists as it was cannibalized for the second generation Cuda.

“The ’68 car I am currently driving is the longest performing Hemi Under Glass with significant history. It has run at the US Nationals, match raced and beat the Little Red Wagon at Englishtown NJ, performed at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in England, was featured at the Playboy mansion when Hefner was alive, and continues to make history today. We will continue to tour with the ‘68 car and plan to have it where ever the new generation car goes so people can enjoy seeing more than 50 years of history and evolution of the brand. “

“I have been considering a new generation Hemi Under Glass for three years and I believe timing is right to do it. The new Gen 3 426 Hellephant engine with its 950 lb-ft of torque and 1000 hp will have the power we need to wheelie the car down the full quarter mile and is a proper fit for the year and make of the car. Right now, our plan is to use the LX platform Challenger. There is rumor that Chrysler may be coming out with a Barracuda and we would love to use that if the chassis and look of the car would work. Otherwise, the current Challenger is a good fit for us. What really got me motivated to move forward with this project was having been invited to the Spring Festival LX in March at Pomona. It was packed with new generation 300s, Chargers, Challengers, and young enthusiasts. These are the cars that young people are growing up with today and driving them on a daily basis. Everyone who saw our concept drawing was extremely excited about it including the promoter. The thought of a new gen Mopar with the heritage of the Hemi Under Glass doing full quarter mile wheelstands was definitely a big hit.”
I hope this pans out, it would be absolutely awesome!

#HEMIunderGlass #HUG #Hurst #Dodge #Challenger #Hellephant #HEMI