Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

Gunns

Post by Gunns »

Hello to All! I have a 41 Dodge panel that I'm street roddin" and would like to put an old Hemi in it. I don't know squat about hemis and need your opinions about the different old hemis.

First off are they hard to come by? How much can I expect spend on a rebuildable one? What fuel systems (carbs) seem to work best? I want it all - The best match/compromise between fuel economy and performance. What transmission with overdrive would be a good match? It goes without saying I want to keep everything MOPAR!

Your help will be greatly appreciated!

Gunns
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

From 1951 to 1958 Chrysler Corporation built the early style Hemi in a total of 13 different displacements. Chrysler, DeSoto and Dodge each had their own unique engines with virtually no interchangeability of parts between the different divisions engines (Plymouth was the stepchild with no Hemi offered in that brand until the introduction of the 426),. To confuse the issue a little more Chrysler also produced Industrial Hemis (usually found in stationary engine applications such as irrigation pumps and in large Dodge trucks) and Marine Hemis (boats).

My OPINION as far as choice for your project would be to shy away from the Dodge and DeSoto Hemi's. They are good engines, but are generally a bit harder and more expensive to find parts for. They are also not as well supported by the aftermarket as the Chrysler versions. I would also stay away from the 54 and earlier versions of the Chrysler Hemis as they had a long bellhousing extension molded on the block and are pretty limited to what you can do for a transmission swap (your usually down to using the stock early tranny or if you can find one, Offenhauser made an adaptor to use an early Ford tranny behind the engine). My understanding is that the Marine engines had additional water passage openings in the in the front of the blocks making then less than desirable for street applications due to the unique water pumps and covers required for them. This pretty much leaves you with the 55 331, the 56 354 and the 57-8 392s from passenger cars and the 331 and 354 Industrials from stationary applications and big trucks.

I think any of the 55 and latter 331s, 354s or 392s would be a good choice for your project but the 354 may be the best balance between performance and economy. What you may find is your choice is limited by what you can find to build. The old Hemi's are out there but you do have to hunt for them. Just from what I've seen in the area I live and on E Bay, builder 331 and 354s go for anywhere between $800-2500 when you can find one. The 392s builders usually start at $1500 and can go anywhere above that. When you do come across an early Hemi verify it is what it's claimed to be BEFORE you hand over any money. I have seen a lot of engines trying to be passed off as 392s and 354s that were not (mostly because the seller didn't know what they really had). Run the casting numbers to verify what you are paying for!!!! Oh, and then be prepared for sticker shock when you start buying parts to rebuild it (you might want to price things like gasket set, bearings, cams, manifolds etc etc to get a feel for what this project is going to cost before you jump in with both feet).

The most readily available transmission adaptors seem to be for either Chrysler or GM (Chevy bolt pattern) automatic or standard transmission. If you want to go automatic, from a cost standpoint you might be better off using the GM adaptor and a 700R4 as the 727 based Chrysler OD trannys are still pretty expensive to buy and a little scarce in the used parts pipeline.

I recently put a 331 into a 37 Dodge PU. As far as getting your Hemi into you panel you may need to be prepared to notch the front fenders a little to clear the valve covers and building the steering will be doable but a bit of a challenge. Well hope this gives you a little insight and good luck.
George

Post by George »

It should be noted there are long tail 2v 54s & short tail 4v 54s. People new to Hemis should get Tex smith/Ron Ceridono's" Complete Chrysler Hemi" fromHot Rod Library (208)354-8133. Over all it a great book,very few errors. You didn't say what frame your using up front original or sub frame? it can make a huge diffrence.