Cams Lifters and pushrods

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

Mike P

Cams Lifters and pushrods

Post by Mike P »

I'm getting ready to freshen up a couple of early hemi's (55 331 and 56 354) and will be putting new cams in both. These are both going to be used in drivers, and I am looking at hyrdraulic cams a .430 lift (the Racer Brown cam sold by Hot Heads) or .440 lift (sold by PAW). The 354 is going into a 57 Plymouth with a 4 spd and final drive ratio of 3.00. The 331 is going into a 37 Dodge PU with Torque-flight and 3.08 gears. Does anybody have either good or bad experiences with either of these cams?

These are advertised as new cams not reground. I'm asuming they are both ground on the original base circle size. I am trying to determine if adjustable pushrods are necessary for these cams. Does anyone have any experience with either of these cams and stock push rods?

After reading the previous post on lifters, I did a little cross checking in the PAW catalogs and crossed the lifter number for the early Hemi cams and the 58-67 BB motors and it appears they sell the same lifter for both.
Moparlee

Post by Moparlee »

Wow, on the lifters, is the part number then the 817#? I wish I could help you with the cam. I can't wait to be able to start on my early Hemi's. I read on Comp Cams website that they have 392 cam blanks. They may all be able to do that though like Crower and Isky, not sure on Crane stuff. Keep us posted on you motors, maybe even some pictures. :)
392 Hemi
354 cracked and needs a sleeve
241 or 270 the only running one I have
340/E-brock heads/six-pack/4-speed/mini tubed/spool-64 Valiant
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

The catalog I have shows 817s as Small and Big Block Chevys. It lists 812s as the number for the early BB Chryslers and Early Hemis.
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

I have used many different combinations of cams, lifters, and pushrods in 331/354 and 392 engines. I always use the same part number new solid or hyd lifters and buy new custom length push rods. (The cost new is cheaper than most sell the used sets on egag . ) I use adjustable rocker arms and forget about the mess of adjustable push rods.
TrWaters

lifters

Post by TrWaters »

And those part numbers would be???
Early hemi to late sb Mopar trans adapters. Precision billet parts for early hemis.
George

cam,lifters

Post by George »

#812 is the usual part # for pre68 BB litfers. I noticed that for what ever reason Competition Cams uses that # for Chevy lifters, so watch out!