'65 Valiant / 354 Hemi ???'s

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

65Valiant

'65 Valiant / 354 Hemi ???'s

Post by 65Valiant »

My Dad and I picked up a '56 354 Hemi, and are going to install it in my Pro-Streeted '65 Valiant. The Valiant retains the stock 170 Slant Six/904, but has been upgraded with a '74 Dart front disc brake set-up, sub-frame connecters, heavy duty cross member, six point roll bar, 18.5 inch Mickey Thompsons, on polished Cragar Super Tricks, with a narrowed 9-inch Ford. We did all the work our selves and wanted to know if anyone had info on installing an early Hemi in an early A-Body? We plan on keeping the motor pretty much stock to keep it streetable, and custom fabrication to install the Hemi is not a problem, we are expecting this adventure to be a big job. So if anyone has their own ten cents that will help us along with the project you can post it here or e-mail me at: SlantFX6@aol.com
I look forward to hearing some replies, this is a great informative site for Hemi guys. Thank, Brian and Gordy
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

That early A body has one of the smallest engine bays Mopar ever made. You've really got your work cut out for you. At the least I suspect you'll have to go to some type of rack and pinion steering setup and relocate the brake master cylinder over to the side more.
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
Moparlee

Post by Moparlee »

I've thought about having one of those trick new K-members with the rack and pinions and narrowing them up to fit in the early A bodies or having on special made to do it. That way you could run a rear sump pan and still probably have room for a set of Hot Heads full length headers. I'm running a mini tubed 64 Valiant with a 340. I like your project keep us posted on how it comes. Got pictures?

Lee
392 Hemi
354 cracked and needs a sleeve
241 or 270 the only running one I have
340/E-brock heads/six-pack/4-speed/mini tubed/spool-64 Valiant
gary

Post by gary »

What transmission will you use?
Assembly required. Batteries not included. Track sold separately.
65Valiant

Post by 65Valiant »

WE ARE NOT SURE WHAT TRANS WE ARE GOING TO USE YET, BUT FROM THE RESPONSE HERE LOOKS LIKE NO ONE HAS TACKLED THIS PROJECT. AND HOW CAN I POST PICTURES HERE?
Moparlee

Post by Moparlee »

TRwaters is doing a similiar project here. His is a 64 like mine. As for the pictures I think you got to have them on a web site and as your replying to a post there is and img button and you put your web address in(?). I've yet to do this to get my hemi pictures and 64 Valiant pictures posted. I really think that most people are putting these Hemis in older cars. Like from the 20's to the 50's. I'm wanting to put a 392 Hemi in my 81 Dodge pickup or my 86 Ramcharger. I like your plan can't wait to see it when it's done. For easey a small block or big block. Which I'm sure you realize this, but still a Hemi in the lightest A-body. What could be better. There is a guy on moparts(Abodyjoe) has a 64 with a 440 in it.

Lee
392 Hemi
dodgedifferent2

Post by dodgedifferent2 »

they stuffed bigger 426 hemi's in a-bodies back in the day ...tight fit, but can be done!

the 354 is smaller in size then the 426? outside dimensions
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

The 354 is actually wider than the 426. If I remember correctly the early A bodies had a narrower engine compartment than the 68 A bodies. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the engine compartments were slightly redesigned about 67 or 68.
mart

Re: 65 Valiant / 354 Hemi ???'s

Post by mart »

You might not like this idea.....but if I was going to put an early hemi into the narrow confines of a '65 Valiant, I'd probably do away with the stock K member, shock towers and inner fenderwells altogether. I'd fabricate or buy a complete 2'X3' or so, rectangular tube stub frame and then fit a Pinto rack and suspension with a pair of coil overs. This way, engine width, header, steering box and oil pan clearance would cease to be an issue and you'd have room for virtually any engine you wanted, even a 392 or 426 hemi.

I probably wouldn't run inner fenderwells, but if you wanted them, you could fabricate them from aluminum, once everything was together and the engine was in, at least for a mock up.

While you're at it you might as well run the tubes from the stub frame all the way back to the rear spring mounts to tie the car together. Heck, then you may as well move the spring perches inboard, tub and back-half the car at same time! See where this going?!! That's why I started by saying "you might not like this idea"!<grin>

mart
65Valiant

Post by 65Valiant »

HEY THERE GUYS,
JUST GIVE YOU AN UPDATE ON THE 65 VALIANT/ 354 HEMI PROJECT, WE JUST PULLED THE MOTOR OUT LAST WEEKEND AFTER A COUPLE MONTHS OF STUFFING IT IN THE VALIANT, NOW WE JUST HAVE TO FINISH PAINTING AND FITTING ALL THE SMALL DETAILS. WE DID MAINTAIN THE STOCK INNER FENDER WELLS AND STOCK FRONT SUSPENSION WITH THE STEERING BOX AND DRAG LINK. IT IS TIGHT BUT WILL WORK, THE EXHAUST IS ALL CUSTOM, UTILIZING THE STOCK HEMI EXHAUST MANIFOLDS. FABRICATED OUR OWN ENGINE MOUNTS TO THE ORIGINAL K-FRAME, WE ARE RUNNING A TH350 CHEVY TRANS WITH AN ADAPTER FROM HOT HEADS. THE FIREWALL WAS RELOACTED BACK 1 1/2 " FOR BELL HOUSING CLEARANCE THUS THE ORIGINAL TRANS TUNNEL HAD TO BE COMPLETELY REMOVED DUE TO NOT ENOUGH CLEARANCE AND A NEW ONE MADE. IT WAS ALOT FITTING AND FABRICATING SOME CUSTOM STUFF BUT WE LOOK TO HAVE IT ON THE ROAD THIS SUMMER.
THANKS BRIAN & GORDY[size=18][/size]
mart

Post by mart »

Way to go!! That car is going to be a BEAR! Please post some pics and keep the up-dates coming!
mart
Moparlee

Post by Moparlee »

No doubt, I'm exited to see it too. What about your master cylinder? Did you have relocate that also?

Lee
392 Hemi
65Valiant

Possible pictures, of 65 Valiant with 354 HEMI!!!

Post by 65Valiant »

Hey there,
Brian again, there are some photos my 354 HEMI Valiant on the ChicagoLandMopar.com website from the Mopar Happenning 2005. There is a good picture of the motor and one the car, with no hood yet, but check it out and let us know what you think. I have put about 1000 miles on it since then, it runs and goes down the road great.
Thanks Brian & Gordy

http://www.chicagolandmopar.com/photos/ ... _0923.html

http://www.chicagolandmopar.com/photos/ ... _0853.html
TrWaters

valiant

Post by TrWaters »

Great job guys.
Early hemi to late sb Mopar trans adapters. Precision billet parts for early hemis.
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

Wow! That's a clean installation. You got any hair left after all that work? :D
Moparlee

Post by Moparlee »

Awesome work.

Lee
392 Hemi
NE57

Re: '65 Valiant / 354 Hemi ???'s

Post by NE57 »

Many years late here but I'm hoping the OP will see this and respond.

I'm doing a very similar swap. 392 into a 66 Dart. Just did some preliminary measuring(slant six is still in car).
Some questions if *fingers crossed* you stumble onto this. Or anyone else with suggestions...

How did you relocate the master cylinder? I think mine has to come over at least 4 inches. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that a kit is/was available from Mopar. Is that what you used or did you fabricate what you needed? If you fabricated, just how did you do that? My car has a clutch and I was wondering about the feasibilty of connecting the MC to the clutch pedal, since I'm most likely to go with a torqueflite(I have the adapter) and the clutch pedal itself is not needed. Doesn't look too hard to elongate the clutch pedal footpad into a wide pedal and eliminate the old brake pedal. All this assuming that having the brake linkage further to the left of car would help in the relocation of the MC. But maybe the MC relocation kit(if available) would eliminate all that?

Tunnel. Were you able to retain the stock heater and vents?

Steering box. I'm glad to hear you were able to keep the stock unit in place. I have both, stock exhust manifolds and a set of block hugger shorties. If necasary to get the headers in, do you think its possible to move the steering box forward or to the left a little bit? Just how close a fit was it for you...exhaust to steering box?

Sorry to bump a very old thread. Nobody minds though, right?
dan miller

Re: '65 Valiant / 354 Hemi ???'s

Post by dan miller »

YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!

What a neat deal. Now, that's what I call a clean engine swap.

Hopefully, you guys are still on this site and can respond with some more pix.

I'd love to do something similar.

Danny