301 poly chrysler block

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

four-thirteen

301 poly chrysler block

Post by four-thirteen »

Hey gang, I was talking to a buddy of mine, and he told me that a 301 poly block has walls thick enough to be bored to 354 size. Is there any truth to this? I have a 301 that i bought, i just need to go pick it up (it's in a yard, still in the car, and the car is frozen into the ground, so it might wait until spring). I was mostly interested in the poly motor for the crank and rods and other misc stuff for my 331 hemi. But if the 301 could be bored to 354, i'd just use the 331 heads on it when i built it up. Any thoughts on cylinder wall thickness on poly 301s? Thanks, Dave
Chrycoman

Re: 301 poly chrysler block

Post by Chrycoman »

four-thirteen wrote:Hey gang, I was talking to a buddy of mine, and he told me that a 301 poly block has walls thick enough to be bored to 354 size. Is there any truth to this? I have a 301 that i bought, i just need to go pick it up (it's in a yard, still in the car, and the car is frozen into the ground, so it might wait until spring). I was mostly interested in the poly motor for the crank and rods and other misc stuff for my 331 hemi. But if the 301 could be bored to 354, i'd just use the 331 heads on it when i built it up. Any thoughts on cylinder wall thickness on poly 301s? Thanks, Dave
Doubtful. The bore on the 301 was smaller than the 331. And in cases as that, the cylinders cast into the block are smaller in diameter as well. In this way the cylinder walls are about the same thickness regardless of bore size. A thick cylinder wall would be harder to cool, for example. It would also add excess weight and cost to the block.

Bill
Vancouver, BC
Bill
Vancouver, BC
George

Post by George »

Bill is probably right,but I,ve never heard if it was adjusted or a seriously underbored 331. Ron Ganster (229)599-0062 has expierience conv. them to hemi. Should be source for info,pistons. Might be neat to build a "hemi that never was".