354 Industrial

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

bigfishee

354 Industrial

Post by bigfishee »

Hello there all. New member here. just got a free 354 Chrysler Industrial. Missing the intake and one exhaust manifold. What do I ahve to do to be able to run it in a car?

Thanks
George

354 ind

Post by George »

You will need to change cams. the one you have is for a set speed,not varieing RPM like in a car. use 67 & earlier BB lifters. Most(hate to say all) ind. engines have a tall,narrow heat crossover that goes under the carb. Auto & truck head/intakes have a square port. Unless someone is making an adaptor to block off the upper part of it you will have to find an ind. intake (usually 2bl or 2X1,) or change to pass. heads & intake
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

George is correct on the heat crossover port on the heads, and as an addition, the ports are water jacket ports rather than exhaust gas ports. I don't know how common that type of industrial head is though. Every 354 industrial hemi I've come across here in New Mexico ( there were a LOT of them used for irrigation pumps) have had the passenger car style head.
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
bigfishee

354 Industrial

Post by bigfishee »

If I got the casting numbers from the heads are you guys able to tell me if they are IND or pass. car? I have no intake, so I am open to suggestions. The whole motor needs to be gone through as I don't think that the oil pan I got is the right one.

Thanks again
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

As far as the pan goes, it will depend on what car your going to put the engine in. The Hemi's are pretty well supported by the aftermarket. As far as factory pans, the 51-56s passenger cars pans were rear sump and the 57-58 392's were center sump. If you happen to be putting it in a 57-61 MOPAR you will need the center pump pan, for a lot of others, the rear sump will work. Make sure you get the correct pickup to go with it.
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

Bigfishee, get the casting numbers from the heads and I'll see what I can do for you.
bigfishee

Post by bigfishee »

Ok guys, the casting #'s from the heads appear to be 1677441-1 K
The block tag looks like it says 1956 or 1958 56A. The guy that I got it from said it was a 57.

Thnaks,
brian
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

441 heads are passenger car style heads, you're good to go! :D
bigfishee

Post by bigfishee »

what kind of manifold will work with them?
George

331 ind

Post by George »

Any of the aftermarket intakes,& 55 331,56 354,392will work. just decide what carb(s) you want to run. single 4 bl best, but qual quad, & 2 to 8 dueces are aval. If you go w 2bl set up, 3 is good, 4 max.
bigfishee

one more thing guys

Post by bigfishee »

Is there any truth to the matter of regular FirePower valve covers will not work in a solid lifter application, which I think is what an Ind motor has, no?

thanks again for all your help.
George

354 ind

Post by George »

If you have adjustable rocker arms you have to use the dimpled covers, solid or hydrolic
bitster44

just acquired 354

Post by bitster44 »

Guys I am about to acquire a 354 Industrial Chrysler as well. I will stop back in with the casting numbers from the blocks and maybe some of you can help me with it as well. One of my main quiestions is; can I put this thing in a charger and can I get at least 400 HP out of it. I have been told that it can be bored to a 392 bore. Is this true?
bitster44

oh yeah

Post by bitster44 »

Oh yeah, talking about aftermarket parts for these motors. I discovered in Mopar Muscle magazine the website to <www> they seem to specialize in informationneeded to use early hemis in later model cars and what not.
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

You should be able to bore it to 4.00 bore, that is 62.5 thousands over, to be safe sonic check the block.

400HP is well within the output power range of the engine with the correct compression increase, cam, head/valve work, intake and exhaust manifolds, and carb.
bitster44

Will it fit

Post by bitster44 »

Can put this 354 HEMI in a dodge charger, if so, what would it take to make it fit?
wayfarer

will it fit

Post by wayfarer »

Early Hemis are an easy fit into B&E bodies. Some basics: install engine with adapter and trans, and mount trans to stock cross member. This will give lots of clearance at firewall and give location for front mounts. Use small block mounts for same car and space them forward on the block. Some additional fussing may be needed depending on how high you want the engine to sit. Best bet is to place the engine so that the drivers exhaust manifold clears the power steering box sector adjusting screw by about one-half inch. This swap will require using the 392 centre sump pan in order to clear the tie rod. It may also be necessary to cut small notches in the rear lip of the k-frame flange to clear the pan. If you need more info send a PM.
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

If you go to the link below I have a PDF file there that goes into detail on putting an early hemi into a B or E body. It is almost impossible to use power steering with one of thses engines due to the larger size of the power steering gearbox, and the width of these engines. You might be able to do it the way Wayfarer said (I haven't tried) but with the engine up that high you'll never be able to close the hood unless you cut an opening for the carb and air cleaner!

http://www.thehemi.com/tips.php?id=0006
wayfarer

B & E body swap

Post by wayfarer »

As we all have different experiences perhaps we all have different perspectives. I have personally assisted with a dozen or more swaps in exactly the way described and the power steering box was used on most. The only hood clearance problem was when a 2x4 intake was used which place the front carb too far forward. This was solved by using a small 1" thick by 6" diameter filter.