331 or 392 into a 91 ram w150

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

91ram_4x4

331 or 392 into a 91 ram w150

Post by 91ram_4x4 »

what do u think about putting a 331 or 392 hemi into a 91 w150 4x4? could u tell me about these engines? i dont know alot about them. all i know is my grandpa used to have an old plymouth car with one in it and it was supposedly pretty tough. i would like to know about relibility, milage, power, and easy ways to make horsepower and torque without spending alot of cash or sacrificing drivability and milage. i drive the truck every day and go offroading once in a while. i would b starting with a stock 331 or 392, i need to know what to change to make it up to date. my truck has a 360 with an overdrive tranny, 3.56 gears, and 33" tires. im not happy with the milage at all, about 8-9 on the highway and ive got a k&n air filter and open air cleaner and a free flowing exhaust and nothing seems to help it. sorry about the length
George

hemi into 91

Post by George »

First Hemis are EXPENSIVE!!!! It would be a major project. You could buy a lot of gas for the cost. A buddie of mine did drop a 400 Chr. B.B. into a 89 Dakota,serious long term project. Emissions illegal too. Your engine should have standard small block bell pattern so tranny adaptors are available. Beyond that you'll have to do a lot of research,planning & fabricating to pull it off.
Moparlee

Post by Moparlee »

I'm going to try and put my 392 in my 86 two wheel drive Ramcharger or 81 Dodge shortwide. I would think that it would be pretty easy. They are expensive! Trucks have lots or room. Headers aren't available as far as I know. I managed to buy some of the four bolt 2 1/2 in. flanged exhaust manifolds for this project, because of that. You would probably need a rear sump pan or I will cause I'm rearsump on both right now, haven't looked on a 4x4 to which pans they run. Does your truck have a rear sump pan now?

Lee
392 Hemi
354 cracked and needs a sleeve
241 or 270 the only running one I have
340/E-brock heads/six-pack/4-speed/mini tubed/spool-64 Valiant
ebbsspeed

Post by ebbsspeed »

Stick with the 360. The hemi will cost you a bunch, and if it's mileage you're concerned with it won't get any better. You can build a pretty stout 360 for half what you would spend on a hemi.
Nicole

Post by Nicole »

Yep, I'll agree with what the others have said. It's no cheap project to update an older 331 hemi. Here's what I've done to mine and it's still in the original New Yorker:

Switched from 6v to 12v - replaced the generator with an alternator. Put a larger crank shaft in it, replaced the intake manifold so I could upgrade to a 4 barrel carb (Holley) I think the size is a 500 (ish). Replaced my old headers with new ones, can be done. Replaced the old distributor with a Mallory electric one.

Still got to get a new gas pump and have it all dropped back in - so I'll also need to put in a new temp gauge and new hook ups for the upgrades.

Now, my 331 has the bell housing cast with the block. Since I'm keeping the original tranny, there won't be any changing there. If one were to change to a different tranny, there should be an adaptor kit - possibly with Hemi Hot Heads.

Now, while I'm sure that what I've done has improved the perfomance of this engine, I don't think I'll be winning races or gas mileage with it. It is after all going back into the original car - A '53 New Yorker hearse.

I think you're best bet would be to look at an earlier model hemi. Something that you won't have to make as many changes with.