Hydraulic roller cams for a blown street 392 heml

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

cylontymany

Hydraulic roller cams for a blown street 392 heml

Post by cylontymany »

Does anybody know if any mfgs makes this kind of a cam for a blown street application?
Moparlee

Post by Moparlee »

I think that any cam company can make what you want, but if your looking for a shelf item probably not. Maybe Crower, but I'm not sure. Sorry I'm not much help.

Lee
392 Hemi
354 cracked and needs a sleeve
241 or 270 the only running one I have
340/E-brock heads/six-pack/4-speed/mini tubed/spool-64 Valiant
Don Nicklason

Hyd. Roller Lifter Cam

Post by Don Nicklason »

Call Chuck Taylor at 530-347-9538
If anyone knows, he will. Has been building/racing early Hemi for over 40 years. If there are any, he might have one.
Good Luck;
Don
55 Red Ram Powered 30 A Roadster
challengerman

hydraulic roller cams

Post by challengerman »

Hi, this is a good question. Could save a lot of tinkering and adjusting once you get the right set-up. What's always bothered me is the hydraulic lifter makers seem to claim they won't take much over 6K rpm. Anyone have experience with this I'd like to hear about it too.

regards, challengerman
Don Nicklason

Hydraulic Roller Cams

Post by Don Nicklason »

They will go well over 6k. I ran a Crane Fireball & lifters with Crane valve springs in a 351C 1/4 mi. round track at Langley track Virginia. With a 6 to one Butt Gear it was peaking 6,800 to 6,850 with no problems of valve float. Was running Manley Stainless Valve also. If you want to rap over 7k you may have to go stainless or better still, Titanium, (spendy), Valves. Check out the "Biggie" cam folks for expert advice. Like if you want to go wild cam profile, stock springs & valves ain't going to get it done. The ramp from heel to nose on the cam lobe will float the valves because it's too steep. I don't have experience with hop up of early Hemi's, but there is Guys out there that do. But, having said that, "A Motor is A Motor", not a lot of difference in Cam Dynamics.
Don
55 Red Ram Powered 30 A Roadster
challengerman

hydraulic roller

Post by challengerman »

Once uon a time in a land far, far away.......................you could find Chet Herberts' little ad in the back of the Dragster & give him a call & he'd send you a cam & lifters COD. But that was another time and place........
challengerman
Powerflite

Post by Powerflite »

I know that Crane is making hydraulic roller lifters they claim are for the early hemi, but they are the same part number as what they sell for the big block 440 motors. I didn't know they used the same lifters???

The problem with using them on the street is in the camshaft as no one makes a non-billet roller cam profile that I am aware of. Using billet will require you to use a bronze oil-pump gear that will need to be replaced frequently. Would you be able to use the roller lifters on a standard cast blower cam?