Newbie junk -- EH heads adapted to LA block.......

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

349MagnumRT

Newbie junk -- EH heads adapted to LA block.......

Post by 349MagnumRT »

Posted this over at Moparts as well...

I'm a newbie to this board, but an old goat over at Moparts...LOL

Ok, been thinking too much lately....

The 354 heads sitting in the corner have been calling....calling....beckoning me to mess around with them. LOL

I know the bore center of the two engines are different and the head bolts patterns are ever-so-slightly different, that being said.....

I took an old LA head gasket (4.172" bore opening) and laid it over the Hemi head and it doesn't seem like it would take *that* much machine work to make it bolt on. Center it on the bottom center bolt hole and it really isn't too far off. Infact, an LA head gasket with a 4.25"+ bore *might* just seal the Hemi head to the LA block. I took some pics but forgot to download the camera. Arrrg.

Two options present themselves:

1. Modify Block
2. Modify Heads

Modify Block:
First I'll ask the question: From a machining standpoint, is it possible it fill the LA's head bolt holes and drill & tap new ones in the correct location for studs for EH heads? If so, that's probably the best solution.

Modify Heads:
Basically redrill or slot (a *little* more involved than that, I know since the head bolts/studs go thru the rocker stands) the heads to fit the LA head bolt spacing. Don't know if that will cause water jacket encroachment or not... kinda doubt it considering how heavy these things are cast. LOL

Anybody know how much you can mill an EH head? Since milling would redice the chamber diameter and make fitting a head gasket a little easier.

The two center chambers would be *really* close to being centered on the bore and the end ones would be acceptable, IMO.

Toss in some 354 Hemi pistons (that has a 3.94" std bore) or get some customs made to work with a 4" crank, add some custom Cometic headgaskets and a custom ground roller cam and you have an LA Hemi. LOL

(Yes, I know about rod & custom's $8k conversion. LOL )

The intake manifold would be a custom part, but that's not too big of a deal if you're going this far...

Would be a fun project to mess around with.

Those big intake and exhaust ports are just sooooo tempting... LOL
349MagnumRT

Post by 349MagnumRT »

lively place ya got here.... :D
Moparlee

Post by Moparlee »

Ya, it's not Moparts. I was the one that was asking about your oil return on moparts. The idea of having a small block Hemi is cool. That's why my 354 truck block I'm going to adapt the small block timing cover on it. Since the early Hemi's take the small block timing chain already. Then the 354's have the same motor mount ears and the distributor's already in the back. Best of luck on your idea. I hope that you post the results here or on Moparts.

Lee
392 Hemi
354 cracked and needs a sleeve
241 or 270 the only running one I have
340/E-brock heads/six-pack/4-speed/mini tubed/spool-64 Valiant