354 Remote Oil take-off puzzler

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

Artiki

354 Remote Oil take-off puzzler

Post by Artiki »

Hi everyone, a complete newbie to this board here and I'm afraid that my first post is a question.
Four friends and I are installing a '56 354 into an Austin A40 pick-up for strip-only use and we've encountered a slight problem. There is absolutely no room for an oil filter in the stock location as the frame rails are in the way, so we reckon the best thing is to fit a remote oil filter. So, we need an oil take-off plate. But because of the close proximity of the chassis rails, the zoomie headers and the four-bar, we need the oil lines to be coming from the plate at 90 degrees, so that they are heading forwards towards the front of the car.
Someone on the HAMB suggested tapping the block and simply having oil fittings threading straight into the block. We didn't want to do that as the engine is a completely original, low-mileage runner, so we didn't want to have to strip it down to clean it out.
Do any of you guys know if anybody makes a remote oil filter take-off plate such as we need, or are we going to have to try and make one for ourselves?
George

filter adaptor

Post by George »

I was involved in the HAMB discussion. How much room do you actually have? If it was extremely little(sounded like it), make a plate out of 1/4 or 3/8 (possibly thicker depending on situation) & screw the fittings into it. That would seem to be the flattest profile you'll get.