392 dual plugs

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

392fever

392 dual plugs

Post by 392fever »

question, is there a reason why 392's cant have dual plugs? has anyone tried it? Also, what would aluminum rods with these specs do for a 392 (specs,big end 2.500, pin is 1.100 ,center to center is 7.150, i believe these are longer than standard)? Is it true that the A-1 392 hemi has extra meat to play with?
Thx, full of questions, i know,
joe
Moparlee

Post by Moparlee »

I'm not sure on the duel plugs. I haven't ever seen heads like that for the early Hemis, that's not saying much seeings how old I am. I'm not sure that I've seen the rods you talking about with the small end being that big. Most are .990 pins like Big Cheby stuff when it comes to that long, like Hot Heads sells. They say that the A-1 blocks are better, but I think that some argue that. Not sure on that one either, my 392 block is an A-1 not sure what the 354 is. I'd have to look when I get the chance.

Lee
392 Hemi
354 cracked and needs a sleeve
241 or 270 the only running one I have
340/E-brock heads/six-pack/4-speed/mini tubed/spool-64 Valiant
392fever

thanks

Post by 392fever »

i was looking at the heads and it seems it could work if the plug is sitting at an angle to avoid the rockers, i guess some experiencing should be done if it hasnt already. poor man like me cant afford thi though, haha. but maybe if i can get me some 354 heads like i want, i can experiment with my 392's. the tubes and covers would have to be modified as well. im assuming this would help quite abit in power. but i might be wrong.
firepower354

Post by firepower354 »

IMHO....Unless you're running giant domes that intrude on flame travel, or a big hit of nitro, there's no reason dual plugs would be an advantage. You'd have to get the plug through the water that runs where you want the second plug with a welded, or screwed and welded insert. If it clears the rockers. 426s have a much deeper chamber and big domes and the castings that have dual plugs were designed for them. The early plug isn't that far off center and the bores aren't that big. There's no "lazy" spots in an early hemi chamber either. A good distributor, coil, wires, and an MSD 6 digital box will give you more spark than you'll ever need.

If it's for the looks, a slick valve cover mod and a dummy set of wires would get you there without having to deal with the rockers and castings.