Stuck Rockers!

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

firepower354

Stuck Rockers!

Post by firepower354 »

Ok, what's the hot tip for unsticking rockers? I have a set that I can't get the exhausts to loosen their grip on the shafts. 3 months of weekly WD40-ing haven't helped. I've tried a nylon faced hammer but don't want to tweak the rockers. Will heat free them? What about weakening the rockers? Thanks in advance.
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

You might try using PB Blaster. In my opinion it's much better stuff than WD-40 for penetrating and loosening stuck parts.
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
41hemi

rockers

Post by 41hemi »

When I first got my 330 it was sitting in a cow field out in the open. Most of the rockers were stuck. I used WD 40 and a small hammer to first tap the rockers against the locating springs. Once they moved a little back and forth I started to rotate them on the shaft slowly. After a few minutes on each one they were all moving freely and at that point they were disassembled and reconditioned. If the shafts are rusty under the springs maybe try some emory cloth in this area so the rocker can be slid over this spot.
41 Chevy with blown 330 Desoto / 32 Ford coupe with blown 392 Chrysler
Don Nicklason

Stuck Rockers

Post by Don Nicklason »

You said the magic Word-- "HEAT"
First-- get a can of rust buster, nut & bolt lossener, rust penetrant. Brand names of ones you can buy, they all work, I know from experience.
Stand rocker shaft on end, using a propane plumbers torch, or a small tip on welding torch. Wand it back & forth over the rocker while squirting rust buster on shaft so it will run down in to rocker. When "buster" fluid starts to boil, pull flame back, it will be hot enough.
Then try tapping with mallet. A 2nd pair of hands with the mallet works better.
If you are using a oxy/gas torch, adjust for a larger longer blue flame so as not to oxidise your rocker.
The previous suggestion of using emery cloth on the exposed shaft surface is good if they are crusty rusty.
55 Red Ram Powered 30 A Roadster
challengerman

stuck rockers!

Post by challengerman »

My opinion/ you can't spray can them once in awhile. I soak mine first in carb cleaner (IMMERSED), flushed them and then soaked them in a Kerosene "mixture" again (IMMERESED). They worked lose and flushed out just fine. I would think heat would be a last resort. Your really don't want to soften these parts up.