331 help on rods and crank - going with a 6-71 blower

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

33 DODGE 3 WINDOW

331 help on rods and crank - going with a 6-71 blower

Post by 33 DODGE 3 WINDOW »

I have a 55 331 with poly heads. I have the good 55 hemi heads to make this a regular hemi. The engine was recently cracked open and we managed to extract 14 mice.

Here's my question - it sounds like the 331 and 354 are same crank - is this correct?

Also are the 331 and 354 rods the same?

The crank can be built/welded up as one journal needs repair.

I assume my first step is to pressure test for any cracks and than bore out. What bore would take the 331 to 354 spec's (.023) ?

Can I live without adjustable rockers?

Thanks
challengerman

331 help on rods & crank

Post by challengerman »

Heres' my 2 Cs worth & we'll see if we get any other perspectives. To my knowledge the 331 and 354s measure out & essentially are the same except for the bore size. Early blocks can be bored considerably, probably should go with flat-top pistons. I would think you would be OK with a street blower with stock parts as long as boost is moderate (plan to do the same myself). If you look, I think you'll find the oil holes on the 331 crank need to be enlarged and re-chamfered. May as well do this while it's being worked on. Re-con the rods & put her back together. Hope this helps or stirs up some other response.

Challengerman
DAD

Post by DAD »

8)
Greetings.
For your crankshaft, the 331 and 354 will be the same, exept the 354 has the lubricating passages larger. If you will use the 331 casting, you will benifit by drilling these passages to the 354 size.
Rods are the same.
Testing is a must before any major machining is started. Pressure testing is good, but you will need to Magnaflux the block to watch for starter cracks that pressure will not uncover.
For your rocker assemblies, you don't really need to use adjustables. They aren't stronger than the non adjustable, just easier to adjust.
We fabricate non-adjustable and adjustable rocker assemblies for high performance Hemi engines with a warrantee that they will last on your application. These are totally reconditioned, hard chromed shafts and tufftride steel rockers for a competitive price. You can have more details on these assemblies on my website. www.onlinewebsale.com or type Daytona Auto Designing in the yahoo search engine.
We have a set of reconditioned rods for your engine, ready for high revving!
Hope this helps.
Joe.
    Unique and special Classic, Vintage and High Performance engine reconstruction. Test labs. New parts designing.
    DblAdigger

Post by DblAdigger »

RE: rods, the oldest trick in the books is to use Pontiac V-8 rods in a 331/354. It's a drop in setup with only pin fitting required. There are many aftermarket Pontiac rods available AND...the bearings are LOTS cheaper.
    Chuck Stevens
    Some people can break a cannon ball, in a sand box, with their bare hands.
    challengerman

331 help on rods

Post by challengerman »

Hi, my 2cs worth. You can live without adjustable rockers, but I bet you won't want to without adjustable pushrods /especially when you compare the cost.
    Best regards
    Bailiesdad

Re: 331 help on rods

Post by Bailiesdad »

Don't use a welded/repaired or turned under more than .010 .010 crank in any blown engine
    TrWaters

Rockers

Post by TrWaters »

This is an OLD post, but I'll reply. :D
    I am confident in saying that the factory adjustable rocker arms are stronger than the non adjustable or converted rockers. All one needs to do is compare the size. :o

With all the 331/354 crankshafts that are available, you should be able to find a good one. A valid point is that if its bad enough to have to go .030/.030, it more than likely took a beating in the process.

TR Waters
    Precision billet trans adapters
    and other good stuff :lol:
    Early hemi to late sb Mopar trans adapters. Precision billet parts for early hemis.