ceramic plug insulators

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

challengerman

ceramic plug insulators

Post by challengerman »

Does anyone know if it's worth finding some original style ceramic insulators for "da beast"?
steve392

Ceramic insulators

Post by steve392 »

Challengerman,
In a word...absolutely! Nothing cooler than seeing those original ceramic (porcelin) insulators peeking out. A few notes are in order first.
1. You can find them on ebay from time to time. I have two sets that I purchased that way. I picked up one set for $5/ea. and another set for about $8/ea. both sets were in very good condition. I've also seen sets get bid up to over $12 for each insulator....
2. At first I thought that they were very fragile and that they would not be a good choice. After modifying the insulators for use with 8mm plug wires, I can assure you that they are pretty tough items.
3. They must be modified (honed or bored out) to fit modern plug wires. I modified mine to fit Taylor 8mm silicone wires. A lot of work, but worth it.
4. You will need to buy the bulk plug wire and terminal ends and a crimper to finish off the ends. not a problem, just a little more expense...
5. Its too much detail to go into here, but I have the dimensions that I used along with some pictures if anyone out there is interested...by the way, I'm not using the wire covers on my 392, so the insulators are plain to see. You will also need the Hot Heads flange-style spark plug tubes to finish off the deal.
Hope this helps.

Steve
just passin' thru