354 Hemi in a 1950 Dodge Wayfarer

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

Paul

354 Hemi in a 1950 Dodge Wayfarer

Post by Paul »

I have a freshly built 354 Hemi ready to go along w/a Transdapt to a 833 4 speed. I have an extra block that I'm using for a mock up. Hasn't anybody ever installed a Hemi in a 50's Wayfarer? I can set it back far enough to clear with slight mods however, I run into the steering column/block hugger clearance. I'm not about to cut off the frame & spend 3000 to 4000+ for a Fatman stub, Mustang 2 rack, discs, column, IFS, crossmember etc.(When 50's Dodges have limited resale) Any suggestions? 1 Way is to raise and set back the motor by cutting the firewall along with the tunnel(but kind of leaves the motor mounted high raising the center of gravity of the 700lb weight) Nobody seems to be able to set me up with a rack and pinion that adapts w/out tons of $ and a Ifs.(Although I feel adapting a rack can't be out of the ? ) I've considered a tilt column to lower the entry point in the firewall or a double u-joint steering column.
Last edited by Paul on Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
41hemi

Post by 41hemi »

In my 41 Chevy I used the original steering box however about an inch out of the box I cut off the shaft and used 3 u-joints with a heim support between two of them to get the column out of the way of the 330 Desoto. I then lowered the original column about 2 inches lower coming out of the firewall. This has worked out very well for me and I have had no problems with this setup. If you use more than 2 u-joints you must use a support somewhere between 2 of the joints. Maybe something along these lines will work for you. Happy Hemi-ing!
41 Chevy with blown 330 Desoto / 32 Ford coupe with blown 392 Chrysler
Paul

Post by Paul »

Thanks for the reply. I looked into Borgeson u-jouints but the box still leads me to heavily modify the headers. I'm considering a Dodge omni 39 3/4" rack the shortest of 3. It would be close considering I have 46" to work with. I can't believe nobody has ever Installed a Hemi in a Dodge Wafarer. The business coupes (or 3 passenger Convertible in my case) are only around 3100lbs. Rumor has it that the Ramcharger race team had one back in the days. Any thought on a height limit for the 700lb beast. Maybe limit myself to 1" bottom of block above the frame rail. There's lots of room on top. Another person claimed to move the radiator forward but, I'm not losing the cool 50's horns.
Last edited by Paul on Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I'm still open to suggestions. What I've come up with so far is the swap to a chevy big block waterpump even with 1" spacers (takes off a bit esp/w elec. fan.) notch the firewall 1" modifying the dash bracket & lower blower motor brackets 1". Toss the original box . Mount the motor @ a 3 0r 4 degree rake straight down to the differential . Also refabing a foot section of the tunnel for the 833 . I'm now considering a 90's Chevy Cavalier power rack, Borgeson u joints & cutting off the original column.

I moved back the original crossmember added a couple inches to it . Since the frame is further apart a couple of ft back. Then mounted a Mid 70's Mopar spool mount crossmember on top of it(upsidedown) for the 833.
Last edited by Paul on Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gary

Post by gary »

In order to increase steering clearance, have you considered offsetting the engine toward the pass side slightly?
Assembly required. Batteries not included. Track sold separately.
Lazyeye

Hellllllllll yeahhhhhh

Post by Lazyeye »

OMFG!!!!!!!!!! I'm doing the EXACT SAME SWAP !!!!
I am really 'cept I'm doing it in a '50 plymouth special deluxe 2-door sedan. Cause plymouth didnt come with a hemi in the fifties and I want to make one . Here's mine ......1950 plymouth 2-door special deluxe sedan, swapping in a '56 Imperial 354 w/push button torkflite also out of the imperial going to keep stock rear for now and make up driveshaft . Idont have the engine or trans yet but they are mine .....have to go get them from the boneyard ,Thats the prob, the Imperial is in a boneyard and off the main road in the yard back in the more woods part bout 50 yards in and cars next to around behind and in front of with trees and EVERYTHING in the way but will get it out , have everything unbolted and up on logs in the front and ready to pull , So paul lets keep in touch and share ideas,I'm thinking mid 70's camaro or nova sub-frame in front then make mounts for the hemi in that sub-frame ???What do you think sound like it is possible ??Anyone else ??With a camaro or nova tilt colume, nova or camaro 10 bolt,Or would keeping it all mopar be better / front sub-frame from mid70's cordoba ,or grand fury from early 80's and tilt tele. colume from mid 70's new yorker I like the tilt tele. colume idea , I think a front sub frame would be the easyist ?? Really thats my opinion tho,wouldnt it be easy tho if ya thinka about it ?So Paul I'm Jon in central wi lets keep in touch and share Ideas this is gonna be fun. Later Jon
Moparlee

Post by Moparlee »

Keep it all mopar.

Lee
392 Hemi
354 cracked and needs a sleeve
241 or 270 the only running one I have
340/E-brock heads/six-pack/4-speed/mini tubed/spool-64 Valiant
Lazyeye

Gasser daze

Post by Lazyeye »

Hey How 'bout this Idea ,Hack off the frame at the firewall 2x3 square tubing make own crossmemeber fit the Hemi and put a A-100 van straght front axle under it for that old school drag gasser 60's look wink wink nudge nudge cut out the rear wheel openings and add an 83/4 under the rear with N-50's on chrome reverse's WOW let that rattle around in there for awhile I did all day at work and am really thinking bout it .Later Jon
Moparlee

Post by Moparlee »

Sounds good to me if I had something like that to build. All I got is the motor for now. :(

Lee
392 Hemi
354 cracked and needs a sleeve
241 or 270 the only running one I have
340/E-brock heads/six-pack/4-speed/mini tubed/spool-64 Valiant