Resurection 392 Hemi

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

IronMonger

Resurection 392 Hemi

Post by IronMonger »

Well guys, new to the site and it looks like it will be fun and helpful. Here's the story. I'm in my thirties, grew up around cars and my dad had a few of the early Hemi's. I wanted one and low and behold I found one for free. I found it 2 years ago while looking for cattle in a pinched off Ox-bow of a river where I live, no joke. It was in a 1957 4 door New Yorker. I talked to the owner of the property and recieved permission to yank it (they thought I was nuts!). I did so 2 weeks ago using a backhoe and chains( only way it could be had being where it was). The best I could determine it has been there for at least 12 years and possibly longer. It HAS been under water who knows how many times. I brought it home not thinking much if any would be savagable.... was I wrong:) This thing has a serious 1/4 inch of sludge all through out the engine that ended up acting like cosmolene!!!!! Rockers are excellent, heads and most, yes most of the cylinders. That is the catch. Two of the cylinders must have froze at one point and poked holes in each :o . They are the two cylinders side by side front P.S. The holes are roughly 1 inch by 2 inches and into the water jacket. I think this can be sleeved but I have never used such before nor ran them. Does this sound do-able??????? The best I have so far been able to determine it would need to be welded up then bored out and then sleeved. I DO plan on boosting this thing with a centrifigal blower( to fit it under the hood). How are sleeves with boost? I know LS1's and race engines are sleeved but will this be an equivilent in strength? Also, I live in Norhtern Nevada and have no competent machinests in my area that I know of. Does anybody know of ones in Salt Lake City or Reno or even that I could ship to that has Specific experience handleing, machining, repairing and dealing with early Hemies? :roll: Heck for that matter do any of you think this is repairable? :) I do have all the pics of this and will post if asked. Look forward to all the great help on this puppy, if it works I should have the only 66 elky with a hemi within 500 miles LOL 8)
I believe in quality, perfection, horsepower and class, things that seem to be a dying art today;)
George

resurecting 392

Post by George »

I saw in a magazine where they knocked a hole in a cylinder of a 318 on purpose & sleeved it, hole was, say 1 or 1 1/2 square. Article stated it ran fine & is viable fix on expensive engines. Not shure about adding stress of blower though.....
Jake

Post by Jake »

Did you ever get that hemi welded up?
krooser

Post by krooser »

Geez...I've got FOUR sleeves in my 354 and I used to race a Ford 427 with EIGHT! A couple cylinders were sleeved TWICE!
China...Great Food...Crappy Tools