Late '54 331 Hemi into '57 Dodge

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

57Dodge

Late '54 331 Hemi into '57 Dodge

Post by 57Dodge »

I want to put a 331 (without extended bell housing) into a '57 Dodge that currently has an L-head six with a Powerflite. I want to run an old torque flite and stay pretty much stock.

1. Can I run the hemi with the Powerflite and would that be a good/bad idea?
2. If I run an old cast iron torque flite, will it bolt up to the 331 and will I have to change rear cross member in the '57?
3. I want to keep the old pushbutton setup, what year transmissions will work and does anybody have the 3 speed pod and cable setup for a '57?
4. Will I have to change the rear end if I put in a torque flite? (I think that it is a 3.73:1 rear)?

I'm new to the old Mopar/Hemi thing, excuse my ignorance.

Thanks
johnny5

Post by johnny5 »

1. I think the bolt pattern is different. You may be able to swap the bellhousing but I've never tried this before.
2. You'll need a transmission from a 50's vintage early hemi/poly motor with the original adapter plate. These are easy to find and reasonably priced, but usually need a costly rebuild. If originality is a concern then it's worth it. You won't have to change the cross member but you may need to relocate it. If you do, you'll probably need a new driveshaft.
3. See above.
4. 3.73 gears are fine. Hemis are very torquey and these are good truck gears. Rear end ratio is really up to you depending on your driving style and intended use of the truck.