Headers and Low End Torque

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

61hawk

Headers and Low End Torque

Post by 61hawk »

I am having a 1954 331 rebuilt to pretty much stock specs but with a little warmer Isky cam and just picked up a set of Sanderson block hugger headers. Now that I've bought them, I'm wondering what if anything these will do to kill low end torque. I'm not planning on racing this thing, but being able to do a burnout now and again would be nice. If I put these on am I going to regret it? The car will be mainly a street car... running anything over 3500 rpm will be rare, and shown at a few weekend car cruise-ins. Thanks.
gary55

Re: Headers and Low End Torque

Post by gary55 »

61hawk wrote:If I put these on am I going to regret it? The car will be mainly a street car... running anything over 3500 rpm will be rare, and shown at a few weekend car cruise-ins.
Block-hugger headers are typically just a little more free-flowing than the stock cast-iron exhaust manifolds. If you're interested in optimizing the exhaust, based on your application, go to:
www.headerdesign.com
You'll have to become a member to use the software, but it's free.

Hope this helps.
krooser

Post by krooser »

You will probably never notice any difference between stock manifolds, block huggers and race headers in your application.

I bought a set of those cheap-butt Chinese made block headers on Ebay. They don't fit worth a darn so I'm going to run stock manifolds on my blown 354.

I'm not racing it...I've never been one to blow stuff up even when I did race..and this thing will light my 8:20X15 Mickey Thompson slicks at will so I'm not worried.

Besides, I'm going for an early 60's look and darn few cars or trucks had headers on the street in 1960....
China...Great Food...Crappy Tools