Ebay Controvercy

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

Paul

Ebay Controvercy

Post by Paul »

I bought a advertised NE55 1955 331 Hemi on Ebay. This was for a whole disassembled engine. I noticed the photo in the add didn't reveal the exhaust ports. So I asked the lady who was selling this for her husband (a Ford flathead enthusiast & active hot rodder claiming to be naive through his wife.) They answered Yes these are the heads that came with the motor. I paid 220+ to ship this , After receiving it I noticed the early 1323338-2 heads . These are the small round port small valve heads that are worthless. The husband took this appart & was apparently too lazy to remove the exhaust manifolds so he knocked out some holes on each exhaust manifold to further inspect the ports . Revealing the small useless ports. I'm sure he's well aware of the way this is falsely advertised. I've entered a dispute. @ E bay The funny thing is I specifically asked the lady about the oval ports once. I guesss she forgot. I feel that I paid 570 .00 for a 1955 Ne 55 Hemi not a 55" block & 1951- 53 small round port heads. All parts are fine 'cept heads.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... RK:MEWN:IT

I guess I'm asking for opinions perhaps solutions. I personally think this guy knew damn well what he was pulling off here & this constitutes false advertisement. :evil: I'm out just under 800 on this & I was going to keep the heads for a 354 project - n- sell the rest . out 800 . I've bought and sold around 10 of these in various different stages on E bay. This looks staged, like a Holley vacuum secondary carb. that I purchased once as a Holley double pumper. The add said Holley DoublePumper but the picture was dark. I got my $ back
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

"331 Hemi Motor 1955 NE 55 Block", looks like that is what you got. You got a 331 with a 55 block, also see PS below.

Did you ask for the casting numbers on the heads that came with the "331 motor with 1955 NE 55 block" ?

(You have to ask even the simplest of questions, on everything on eBay, or anywhere else, or you do not know exactly what you are buying.)

Looks like you got excited over a percieved great deal after the auction had been up for 7 days and forgot to do your proper questioning to find out exactly what you were purchasing. You have no reason to complain.

PS
If you had looked closely at the posted pictures in the auction you would have seen the 1954 manifold that went with the heads you bought, also.
TrWaters

Post by TrWaters »

It sounds like the previous owner did exactly as you were going to do. He took what he felt were the good parts (pistons?, heads,and 4bbl intake) and sold the rest.
I watched this auction. The included 2bbl intake as well as what appeared to be small valves in the heads(as well as the block being painted orange) were what kept me away.
Early hemi to late sb Mopar trans adapters. Precision billet parts for early hemis.
DHEMI

Post by DHEMI »

Looks like you got a good core for a reasonable price.I don't think that you can complain,nobody twisted your arm to make you bid.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I saw the misleading photo covering the exhaust ports. If I was a crook I would do the same thing but, I'm not.
I specifically asked if these were the small round port heads or the large oval port heads. The lady responded yes those were the ones that came with the block. Two times . vague answers. (ploy) I even added 55 heads to the statement. She was receiving info. from her Hubby. I feel I should be compensated for a very misleading add. I know damn well that the husband knew this. If this is the way that you people do business. You won't do it with me. Anybody want these (complete)heads $50+ shipping they are boat anchors 2 me.
1st poster Ye I called you about a 392 almost 2yrs ago. 4500 with worn tolerances. You should speak. you kept rambling on about why I should buy from you since there's nothing but junk on Ebay.
I beg to differ. If these aren't raced I've had almost 100% success with these esp. the heads even if they are rusty they clean up. I have almost 10 of these. Yes I have 4 sets of 555's . I asked in advance & I trusted the Lady. I'm losing faith in people's ability to be honest. :evil: Yes I noticed the manifold I told them not to ship it my 2nd reason to ? the heads Twice .