HELP! Need Advice for the new guy

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

68Dart

HELP! Need Advice for the new guy

Post by 68Dart »

Hello All
As you can see I am the new kid on the block and already in need of help. We need some help on making a decision on an implant.
My son and I are working on his first car, a 1968 Dodge Dart. Currently we have a fresh 383 sitting in the garage that was intended to be the power plant. A couple of days ago my son found a 331 Hemi(complete) that we can get for $600.
My question is ...is it worth the $600 for a 331cid??? He wants a Hemi in this car ..which is fine but I dont want to spend the extra money on a motor was not a reliable one..
I would like to see something like a 392 or even a 426 but that really runs into money..

Thanks
Rick
George

Post by George »

What 331? short (normal) rear or long tail like a Ford flathead? 600 isn't a bad price if all together. look up detail as to what it is, let us know
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

The cost to rebuild the 331 to stock or so spec and having 250 hp will run 2000 plus dollars. If you are concerned about money use the 383.
wayfarer

hemi dart

Post by wayfarer »

If you are on a budget, use the 383, The early Hemi will cost nearly twice as much to rebuild as the 383, and you can buy mounts, headers and all the rest of the 'stuff' that will be required for the B engine install. Remember that this was a factory option way back when. The 331 will fit but everything will be custom.
Now, if LOOKS are the driving force then the Hemi is a hands down winner, but it will still be expensive. Good Luck.