Early Hemi Cam help

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

Troy Cagle

Early Hemi Cam help

Post by Troy Cagle »

I'm kinda new here so please bear with me.
I have 2 roller cams,& Im planning on builing 2 different size engines.
A 354 & a 331.
One of the cams is marked "Engle-540-B3-51-56",,,its a roller.I talked to Engle about it an all they came up with is that it's a radical "old Top Fuel Cam".
I'm guessing the "51-56" means it fits either a 331 or 354.

The other cam I have is an Isky roller,marked"Iskenderian-Hard Face-BR57-9000".I talked to a few people at Isky,(including Ed)& they have no old info on it.Im also guessing the "BR57" is for a 392.

My question is,is it possible to have these cams re-ground to use in display type Blown Fuel engines?
I dont need anything thats too radical.I just want a nice idle,& dont want to excede 60-70% Nitro loads.No engine load,no burnouts.
Im keeping the compression down to 7.5 to 8.0.
Thanks for your time & help in advance.
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

Find a camshaft grinder local to you and get them to "read " both cams through a program called CamRX (cam doctor). Have the person inspect the actual cams and that will tell you if they can be reground to your needs.

It all depends on the lobe seperations, the lifts currently on the cams, and if they were hardfaced when manufactured.
DblAdigger

Post by DblAdigger »

Where in Cal are you? I'm in SoCal, Oxnard/Ventura area. Have Cam Doctor and will check your cams for a small fee.
Chuck Stevens
Some people can break a cannon ball, in a sand box, with their bare hands.