Can U regrind stock cam for more lift ?

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

carguy

Can U regrind stock cam for more lift ?

Post by carguy »

An older street rod builder friend of mine is putting a 392 into a 49 Merc. He wants to make more torque and doesn't care a lick about horsepower. He says if he could get a cam with a little more lift but keep the durations the same the motor may make more torque and improve driveability around town. His goal is to make the car as driver friendly as possible and he couldn't care less about it being a radical hot rod. Here's the big question.

Is it possible to take the stock cam and grind down the base circle of the lobe slightly thereby increasing amount of lift? Theoretically this would work....but has this been done before? I've heard of offset grinding stock crankshafts to get more stroke. So it seems like this is possible. What do you guys think?
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

It can be done but it would probably be much less expensive to just buy a new came core and go from there.
firepower354

Post by firepower354 »

No problem. Crower has done several of mine. I had them ground to 225 degrees duration at .050, .450 lift, 111 lobe centers. The slight increase in duration won't hurt a thing and the added area under the curve will help the overall torque. They were $67 a couple years ago and still under $100 plus shipping. Your core will have to be checked by them to verify the grinds available. The whole deal's a lot less than a new one. With adjustable rockers or pushrods you'll have no problem.
carguy

Post by carguy »

THANK YOU VERY MUCH firepower 354....that is great information. I will gladly pass it on to my friend Jim, it will make his day!