Max stroke ?

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

gary534

Max stroke ?

Post by gary534 »

Would someone please tell me the max stroke that the early Hemi can take ?
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

Put your questions in the first section about general hemi discussions and I will give you some information, free from alteration.
scottm

Post by scottm »

He's posting in the right forum. Don't make me delete posts.
wayfarer

max stroke

Post by wayfarer »

my memory seems to fade as I get older, but seems like in the 'ol days most big strokes were 5/8". I don't recall if the limiting factor was excess grinding on the block or because of moving the crank pin out away from the meat of the throw... Looking at a stock crank today, I'm not sure if I would go past ½". Recall that you will have a short rod or a pin into the oil groove, maybe both, and no doubt some serious grinding inside of the block (even more so with alum rods). Good Luck.
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

On Chrysler engines 5/8 4.5 inch with new smaller steel I beam rods, or factory rods with Arp2000s and very little block removal, plus Jr T routinely uses 3/4 inch 4.625 stroker cranks in 392s.

I have gone 5/8 4.25 in short decks with no problems and very little clearancing using small strong rod bolts & nuts.

Get a set of Cunningham slant cap rods for either and there is no to very minimal clearancing at all.

All full sized journals with Chrysler sizes.
gary534

Thank you very much, wayfarer, Bailiesdad

Post by gary534 »

That was very complete information