Max bore Donovan 392 ?

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

gary534

Max bore Donovan 392 ?

Post by gary534 »

What was the largest bore available in the Donovan 392 engine block ?
DblAdigger

Post by DblAdigger »

Typical MAX, for blown motors, 4.187.
Chuck Stevens
Some people can break a cannon ball, in a sand box, with their bare hands.
gary534

Thanks

Post by gary534 »

Thank you very much, DblAdigger, for both of your responses. :D
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

Donovan never made a 392 block.
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

I believe he was using the '392' as a reference to the style of block, not displacement. :roll:
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

Donovan never made a "392 style" type of block either. Donovan produced an aluminum Donovan 417 Hemi.

Nothing about Donovans products were even simular to Chrysler products, two completely different designs from oil pan to intake manifold surfaces.

blast away, again..... :D
gary534

Post by gary534 »

Did the Donovan 417 use the 392 crank ?
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

best to get your information directly from the souce instead of off internet boards.

http://www.donovanengineering.com/
DblAdigger

Post by DblAdigger »

Perhaps "dad" should READ Donovan's site...where it says most 392 parts fit. :roll:
Chuck Stevens
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

You took one minor comment off the Donovan website, you forgot the other MAJOR descriptive statements.

The blocks might "accept most 392 Parts" but I never seen or heard of anyone using much of anything much less a Chrysler 392 crank.

Donovan blocks were manufactured like that so manufacturers of aftermarket equiptment would only have to tool up for one pattern of sizes for parts, for both Chrysler iron and aluminum Donovan blocks. That way the people who did not want or could not afford to buy a Donovan block would and could use Donoan components on their Chrysler components.

Donovan blocks are non water jacket blocks used for racing only, factory parts might fit but won't last very long.

That is EXACTLY why it is good to get ALL the information direct, instead of monor bits and pieces. Thanks for showing that. :D
DblAdigger

Post by DblAdigger »

Well, lets see. STOCK parts that do fit in and on a Donavon 417 block, partial list: Crank, rods, oil pump, intermediat shaft, front timing cover, cam. lifters, cam thrust plate, chain and gears, cylinder heads(complete with valves, springs rocker assy. plug tubes and valve covers), intake manifolds, distributors/magnetos...the list goes on. I agree though, I wouldn't use one for anything but racing.
Chuck Stevens
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

dbleA, of those parts you listed, which ones have you used in a Donovan block?

Who would ever use them in a Donovan block? (Rods, cranks, pistons, pins, bearings, cams, intermediate shafts, oil pumps, just won't cut it)

Never seen an Donovan aluminum block with cast irons heads either....maybe but it defeats the purpose of the "lightweight" concept.

Some tried the stock rockerarms, stands, and shafts and broke them regularly.

Donovans routinely rev 9K-11K and nothing Chrysler made would stand it.

(I have used lots of Donovan parts on iron blocks, and newer aluminum blocks, never heard of anyone using stock Chrysler parts in a Donovan block.)

As stated, Donovan made the blocks to accept "stock SIZED" (the key word here is same size) parts for the aftermarkets convience in the manufacturing of parts and for their blocks marketability.

There is also a complete billett 392 block available that accepts all "stock sized" parts, they run 7500 each, No one would ever use any stock Chrysler part in them either.

Many manufacturers of aftermarket blocks do the exact same thing, ie Dart, Indy, World products, Merlin, etc... all or most made to accept primarily stock SIZED parts, NOT STOCK parts.

The CORRECT information is easily gained by calling Donovan, the website I listed inorder not to get this type of "internet stuff".

Please post anything, that I have stated, that Donovan contradicts.
TrWaters

Post by TrWaters »

I believe he stated that the parts would fit....not that he has ever used them. Please take the time to read what people actually post before you go off on a tangent with your replies.

Pete, let this be fair warning. If you cannot contribute usefull information in a civil manner to the members of this board, you will end up as you have on several other sites..... on the outside looking in.
Early hemi to late sb Mopar trans adapters. Precision billet parts for early hemis.