Valve Seals for 354 Hemi

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

HemiDeuce

Valve Seals for 354 Hemi

Post by HemiDeuce »

Hi everybody, I'm rebuilding my Chrysler 354 Hemi and notice the Fel Pro Gasket set that I am using, does not include seals for the Exhaust Valves. The Shop Manual for the 1956 Chrysler Hemi does not show Valve Seals for the Exhaust Valves either !
Should I use some Intake seals for the Exhaust valve seals, or use something else ?
Will I have oil burning problems with out these Valve Seals on the Exhaust Valves ?
Thanks for your help on this.
Keith
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

Teflon seals won't hurt. Just additional insurance no leaks.
DblAdigger

Post by DblAdigger »

If the heads have the original exhaust guides in them you will find a small hole drilled through the outside of the guide into the bore. It's right down by the spring seat, on the up facing side. it is there to provide lubrication to the exhaust valve stem. That's also why the factory didn't use exhaust seals.
Chuck Stevens
Some people can break a cannon ball, in a sand box, with their bare hands.
HemiDeuce

Post by HemiDeuce »

Thank you all for your replys.
I think I go with the factory set up, as the engine is new and only modified with a 272 Duration cam and new Moly Rings.
Keith
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

HemiDeuce wrote:Thank you all for your replys.
I think I go with the factory set up, as the engine is new and only modified with a 272 Duration cam and new Moly Rings.
Keith
When you modify or change one part of a system you should follow through and upgrade or heavy up the rest of the system or your modification just might not work and cause problems.

More lift or duration on a cam requires more sealing properties than the factory engineers designed their factory sealing/oiling system to handle.

You want better sealing by using "moly rings" on the the pistons, to help help stablize compression, but not better sealing of the valve stems when changing the cam profile.
George

Post by George »

My understanding of the situation is that the valve stem runs up to the chamber. Oil can't go up on its own do to gravity,so there is no need for a seal.
DHEMI

Post by DHEMI »

This is the way I see it,if I'm wrong,please post reply.The valve stems need lubrication.The intakes are on the suction side, so they need seals to limit oil supply.The exhaust is on the pressure side so they don't need seals,BUT,the guide clearance,piston rings, fuel mixture,engine coolant temp.,and ignition timing must be correct,or the valves will coke up with carbon.
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

When the exhaust valve opens the pressure from the cylinder pushes the oil up the stem. A seal will keep it there, in the valve guide.

Seals are real cheap way to keep oil in guide not blown back up onto the head area and the bottom of the valve cover.

Rotators on the marine engines act very simular to seals, just another point to limit the oil from blowing out of the guide.

The goal is to keep the oil in the guide, not blow it out and cause galling or burning of the valve stem. The engine will burn any minor leakage down.

When it the exhaust system starts smoking like a chimney it is time for new guides or valves.
DHEMI

Post by DHEMI »

So ,if the valve seals prevent pressure from commining up thru the valve guide,why did Chrysler put holes in the exaust guide?The exaust gases will always follow the path of least resistance,out the ex. port,not up the guide.
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

DHEMI wrote:So ,if the valve seals prevent pressure from commining up thru the valve guide,why did Chrysler put holes in the exaust guide?The exaust gases will always follow the path of least resistance,out the ex. port,not up the guide.
Got me, I dug through my 5 gal bucket of used guides and did not see any holes drilled or machined in the sides of the guide. (331-354 Marine guides and 392 stock head guides)

The new guides I use do not have any holes either, except at both ends for the valve stems :D .