New Guy needs help planning!

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

evangojason

New Guy needs help planning!

Post by evangojason »

I just bought a 54 Chrysler NewYorker just for the 331 Hemi. I plan on putting it in my 37 buick one day. The engine has the bellhousing on it. Besides having to buy the adaptor for a transmission, and the extra room for mounting it, does this cause any other problems? Second, does anyone have one of these mated to a 4sd manual? Whitch one? How well does it work and with what rearend gear ratio? And now the main question. I want to get around 350-400hp. What is the best way to get into that ball park and have it streetable. Stroking? From what I've read here, it sounds like I can bore my block out swap the crank and have a 354. Is it that easy? What setup are you guys running and what kind of power are you getting? no hurry, just starting the wheels in my head
George

new guy

Post by George »

The 331 & 354 have the same stroke. For many years a GM stick was the only adaptor available, there are some other choices now. The donor car has rear gears of 3.33 or 3.55, 3.33 most likely. You can bore out to 354, but that is a max overbore, & if there isn't much internal rusting of the cylendar walls. Unless your going to be racing, I'd give it a minimum overbore. Get Tex Smith's Hemi book Hot rod Library.
krooser

Re: New Guy needs help planning!

Post by krooser »

evangojason wrote:I just bought a 54 Chrysler NewYorker just for the 331 Hemi. I plan on putting it in my 37 buick one day. The engine has the bellhousing on it. Besides having to buy the adaptor for a transmission, and the extra room for mounting it, does this cause any other problems? Second, does anyone have one of these mated to a 4sd manual? Whitch one? How well does it work and with what rearend gear ratio? And now the main question. I want to get around 350-400hp. What is the best way to get into that ball park and have it streetable. Stroking? From what I've read here, it sounds like I can bore my block out swap the crank and have a 354. Is it that easy? What setup are you guys running and what kind of power are you getting? no hurry, just starting the wheels in my head
all you need for 400 HP is a mild cam and a good intake and exhaust system...
China...Great Food...Crappy Tools
evangojason

Post by evangojason »

The only internal mod is a cam? That sounds a little too easy.
krooser

Post by krooser »

evangojason wrote:The only internal mod is a cam? That sounds a little too easy.
Many of these engines had at least 10-1 compression from the factory....a little cam really wakes 'em up. Recurve the ignition and/or replace it with a modern electronic unit...a good carb and exhaust and go for it!

My '56 300B engine was 345 hp from the factory...it's almost there!
China...Great Food...Crappy Tools